What Is Marble Comprised Of? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Guap0_
  • 1 Post By m_ridzon
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By m_ridzon

Old 02-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Licensed Pro. Engineer

Rewards Points: 492

What is Marble Comprised Of?

I know nothing about marble sinks other than they look cool and do the job. To date, I've been under the impression that they were derived from the stone family, but I now think that's a false assumption. Anyways, we were given a very nice hand-me-down marble bathroom sink to use in our remodeling, which is well underway. We found a local woodworker to build a custom vanity for the bathroom. We gave him the sink so he could size up the wood frame around it. His project was going great. Lo and behold, his shop burnt to the ground this week, unfortunately (nobody hurt, but otherwise a complete loss). He's not sure yet if the sink was spared; he's waiting for the insurance adjuster to come look at the scene before he rummages through the rubble. I know there's a thousand reasons to believe the marble sink is trash now (crushed, cracked, scratched, marred, etc.). But those aside, what is marble comprised of? Assuming it luckily was spared from the aforementioned calamities, will it withstand a blazing inferno of heat and flames?
m_ridzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,498

Re: What is Marble Comprised Of?

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/identify-marble-90778.html
CodeMatters is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,370

I'd suspect that real marble would get brittle after a fire. There is also cultured marble, it was popular in the 80s. It is a man made material.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,576

Real marble is stone, this stone was an old oyster / clam bed, that was dried up, and compressed and heated by Mother nature.

Marble is first limestone until nature morphs it .

It's basically calcium, it is soft, in a stone Mhos scale sense.

I would not get my hopes too high , because if it got heated in the fire, and the fireman used water to douse the fire, the COLD water probably hit the sink and it cracked.

The best that you will get is a new one bought by his Insurance Company.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Gorg is correct. Real marble is stone. I worked in a NYC office building that was built in the mid 20s. There was marble from Italy, Pakistan, Brazil & maybe a few other countries. For some reason, someone from Astoria Tile & Marble was there one day. He was an expert. He explained to me where each piece originated & how some of them were book matched. That's when a piece is split & opened like a book. Both sides match. So one day, in the early 80s, I went to see the lobby of the Trump Tower. His marble didn't compare. It didn't look bad but it was obviously mass produced, a far cry from the workmanship of the 20s.
de-nagorg and Nealtw like this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guap0_ For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (03-08-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
Licensed Pro. Engineer

Thanks everybody. Well, I guess it's unclear whether it would be real or faux marble and certainly, I can't get access to it now to investigate. So I will just have to wait it out. And like someone said, my hopes aren't too high. Oh well.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
Licensed Pro. Engineer

Looks like the marble sink was completely destroyed in the fire. And in the process, the woodworker was completely irate with me as I tried to reason with him about replacing it, as if this was somehow my fault. Although reluctant, he finally decided to pay me full replacement cost for the sink. So now I'm going to buy a new one and find a new woodworker. Oh well. Lesson learned!
Old 03-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,790

Quote:
the woodworker was completely irate with me as I tried to reason with him about replacing it,
Sounds like you were dealing with a local artisan or hobbyist (uninsuredJ, not an insured professional woodworker.

The warning about hiring insured contractors also needs to be followed when hiring offsite shops if you are handing over anything of significant value.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
Licensed Pro. Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
Sounds like you were dealing with a local artisan or hobbyist (uninsuredJ, not an insured professional woodworker.

The warning about hiring insured contractors also needs to be followed when hiring offsite shops if you are handing over anything of significant value.
Ironically, he was insured. But the insurance company tied his hands on how much they'd pay for the sink, which was less than replacement value. And with that constraint, I tried to reason with him to find another concession in the deal so we could both walk away happy. But in his anger over the whole mess, he was completely irrational about it and basically dug his heels in (so to speak) and refused to consider anything. As his volume got louder and harsher on the phone, I finally nixed the deal and got my money back.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,242

Quote:
Anyways, we were given a very nice hand-me-down marble bathroom sink to use in our remodeling,
Quote:
But the insurance company tied his hands on how much they'd pay for the sink, which was less than replacement value.
WoW,...... yer heartless,.... a Free sink,......
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
WoW,...... yer heartless,.... a Free sink,......
Not to start an argument, but It's not the price one pays for something that counts.

It's what it will take to replace the item if it is stolen, or irreparably damaged , like in a fire.

Or the sentimental value one has on something.

Say you loan me your boat, and I return it with a big hole in the prow, and deny running aground, but offer to only pay half of it's replacement value.

Will it still be alright?

Not in my definition of personal responsibility it ain't.

As I said I'm not wanting an argument, but still offering an opinion.

ED
mark sr likes this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:39 AM   #12
Licensed Pro. Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Not to start an argument, but It's not the price one pays for something that counts.

It's what it will take to replace the item if it is stolen, or irreparably damaged , like in a fire.

Or the sentimental value one has on something.

Say you loan me your boat, and I return it with a big hole in the prow, and deny running aground, but offer to only pay half of it's replacement value.

Will it still be alright?

Not in my definition of personal responsibility it ain't.

As I said I'm not wanting an argument, but still offering an opinion.

ED
No argument started here! I agree completely. The woodworker had a complete breakdown of personal responsibility, ethics, and customer satisfaction. And I knew he was in a tough spot, so I tried to reason with him and seek some other concessions to fix the deal for both of us. No dice though; he was completely irrational.

And I can tell you love your boat! Cheers!
de-nagorg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement