What Is This, Cut-outs Behind Trim - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
USMC

Rewards Points: 42

What is this, cut-outs behind trim

Folks, just found these 10x3 cut-outs behind the trim in a basement (below grade, with a walkout) bath. I just started the deconstruction an found these hidden behind the trim.

Honestly, I am scared to find out.

The home is in S. Maryland if anyone thinks this is a local technique of sort to remedy another problem.

I have lived in the home for ~2 years, built in 1986.

I am sure the previous homeowner has done most of the "work" himself as neighbors have told me.

Thanks. Rick
Attached Thumbnails
What is this, cut-outs behind trim-img_1876.jpg   What is this, cut-outs behind trim-img_1877.jpg   What is this, cut-outs behind trim-img_1878.jpg  
Fordstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 186

Wild guess. The cut outs could have been removed to eliminate bulges in the wall so the baseboard would sit flat.
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
USMC

I'm not thinking so. The previous guy would have never went through that much trouble. The bottom plate is straight enough anyway. Also the trim was only half-A$$ attached and never filled the nail holes. One of many reasons for the remodel.

I don't want to put bias in the opinions that may come but I am leaning toward some sort of mitigation technique. I have had flooded basements before and never had to do that. Also, this is a walkout so water would not have been trapped in here right?

Please keep reading and offering ideas here. It just seems odd to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 996

a secret stash ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
USMC

Mold remedy? Flood? Radon?

Oh, BTW studs made in Chech? What?
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
USMC

Nothing I find here makes sense. There is a laundry room above the bath if that matters. Why I have no idea. Perhaps, this post in the wrong section? Any recommendations are welcome.

Fix'n - Stash? I wish I found the the cash stash.

Last edited by Fordstanger; 02-24-2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added comment for clarity.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,260

Not part of any mold or radon mitigation system I have ever seen.

Sometimes there is no sense to what folks do. Actually...a bunch of the time that is true.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 96

When I read the size I immediately thought of those toe-kick heaters for under a kitchen sink base... maybe someone was planning to heat the bathroom that way and then thought better of it?
tiger1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,130

Maybe the drywall just came short and wasn't fixed because trim would cover it. I've lived in Southern MD myself and have never seen anything like that. Probably just shoddy work.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
USMC

Thanks. Some encouraging thoughts. At least no screamingly obvious issues except for concurrence on the oddity of work.

- Not short on DW, these are cut.
- Hmmm? Registers? Perhaps, but to meet any kind of code, a ceiling exhaust fan w/heat was installed, albeit without proper external venting. Which is what prompted me to get started on this.

Yes, started with shoddy work identified via warping and sagging ceiling tiles. Some sections of grid were secured with individual strands of telephone wire twisted around plumbing and 220V cable routed under the floor joists. The previous owner was a major telephone company field tech. Many miles of the aforementioned phone lines throughout the home in some strange places.

Goes along with a washer/dryer spigot installed in place of an exterior hose bib, which of course froze and busted the first year I lived here.

If I have the time, I should start a blog on how 'not' to do home repairs and upgrades.
It is quite a long list.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Inspection accesses searching for mold.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #12
USMC

So, would anyone know if there is some sort of state or county regulation that requires reporting cases (if found by a licensed contractor) and if it is public record?

Wow, I hope this is not true. I do not want to open up that can of worms. Homeowners insurance claim? Legal Litigation would be unforgiving and take way to long I am sure.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I've seen openings like that that were made in order to fish electric wires.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordstanger View Post
Fix'n - Stash? I wish I found the the cash stash.
when i was a teen. i cut a hole just like that, but smaller. i made the BB piece so that it could fit tight, but come out . i put it under the bed = out of sight. i hid my small valuables in it.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:48 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 526

IMO, someone was trying to vent/dry the wall cavity/insulation if an exterior wall. Notice the stud centered for access each side.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement