Wet Shower Pan - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Wet shower pan

I am trying to retile a walk in shower but I have run into a problem with the existing shower pan. I'm remodeling it because the shower was showing moisture issues, loose tiles around base, mold, etc...
I have managed to remove the tiles from the walls an ceiling and the cement backer board appears in good shape so I have not removed it to check out the wood behind it. as I don't want to disturb the liner that should be behind there.
My problem came when I used a demo hammer to remove the tiles from the shower floor. this worked fairly well but there were a few nicks made in the cement. I had left a towel on the floor, to kneel on while working and wen I came back a couple of hours later the towel was very damp. I dismissed this and proceeded to put a skim coat of mastic on the floor to level out the nicks before tiling and left it for the night to dry.
When I returned this morning to resume work, instead of the mastic drying, it had sucked up the moisture and was soupy.
My question is, what can cause this, and how can I fix it. The house was built in Florida in the 80's and has copper piping but I don't think it's coming from a slab leak. There are no other obvious signs of high water table or water penetrating through the slab elsewhere. The AC on the other side of the back shower wall, the drain line goes out the side of the house 8' to the right of the shower and there is no evidence of water from the garage side. Is it normal for the cement bed in a shower pan to be wet like This and do I just need to give it time to air out? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
siphco32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,054

Re: Wet shower pan

Don't use mastic in a shower. Use a good polymer modified thinset.

Something is wrong. The pan/floor area should be dry. Is the shower valve leaking? Is the floor of the shower inside the floor slab (recessed) or does it use a curb?
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Wet shower pan

The top of the bed appears to be the same height as the rest of the bathroom slab so I assume that means recessed. There is a brick curb around the shower so I assume this predates the use of vinyl liners. I have no way of telling whether or not the continues under the pan or if the pan. I am pretty certain the old valve was not leaking but the new one definitely is not. Before I removed the tiles, I did notice a small gap around between the tile and around the drain, maybe an 8th of an inch at its widest and probably about 2 inches long. My guess, and hope is that the water penetrated through there over time and had no where to go until I removed the tiles. I don't know I code back then required weep holes under the bed to allow water like this to escape. but I assume that if there were any weep holes they would have contended with this sort of situation. A fan appears to be drying things out but I want to make certain I wont cause any problems tiling over it again.
siphco32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shower pan