And We Have Rot - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes

Old 11-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 160

And we have rot

Sorry to start another thread but different subject than the previous. I've demo'd the bath/tile area. I see rot on the studs, appears to be possibly from the aforementioned window. My grandfather in law is a contractor, awaiting his recommendations before proceeding.

My initial thoughts are the studs have to be replaced, the window replaced or rebuilt. I'd really prefer to keep this style of window and not go vinyl if possible.

Thoughts on how best to repair this? I'm thinking the cast iron tub will have to come out to be able to access the studs. Lawd this is more than I bargained for but excited to get it repaired, learn something new.
Attached Thumbnails
And we have rot-img_20181103_163426952.jpg   And we have rot-img_20181103_163439077.jpg  
Yodaman likes this.
oblvnnwtnjhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,584

Re: And we have rot

How deep is the rot on the studs, of not to deep it can be scraped away and everything can be painted with products that kill anything living there. Is the tub staying and how bad is it below.
Yodaman likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

Personally I don't like the windows in the shower wall. They always leak eventually. Yours is high but still within the shower wall. I normally take them out when doing a remodel such as this, if possible. My local code requires a bathroom window or exhaust fan so that may be a issue.

Regarding the rot as shown, One stud out of four with a little water damage. Doesn't get me too excited. You would likely cause more harm than good trying to get it out of there. Also it appears to be dry meaning the water leaks and damage occurred awhile ago. The rotting stops as long as it stays dry.

That said, a thorough inspection below needs to be done.
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #4

What you can't see is the stud is cracked down the middle up above the rot picture. And the rot is chunks of wooden, and split horizontally. It definitely needs to be replaced.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Personally I don't like the windows in the shower wall. They always leak eventually. Yours is high but still within the shower wall. I normally take them out when doing a remodel such as this, if possible. My local code requires a bathroom window or exhaust fan so that may be a issue.

Regarding the rot as shown, One stud out of four with a little water damage. Doesn't get me too excited. You would likely cause more harm than good trying to get it out of there. Also it appears to be dry meaning the water leaks and damage occurred awhile ago. The rotting stops as long as it stays dry.

That said, a thorough inspection below needs to be done.
At this point we're considering a full remodel, taking out the tub, making a shower. I like having the natural light in the otherwise dark bathroom. The stud also is split in the middle up higher than the rot photo. Hard to get good shots this late in the day. Hopefully GFIL can advise best in person. But I do appreciate the recommendations. We plan to be here for some time, and I'd like to address it now rather than later.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,622

It may be best for you to keep this bathroom remodel in one thread. So far I believe you have three. Maybe the moderators could merge them so we can keep the thought train on the tracks.
Yodaman and oblvnnwtnjhn like this.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #7

I agree, I rather stick with this post. Here's some more detailed shots of the studs. The other issue is the cedar shake on the other side of the 1X, we plan to replace with Allura fiber cement panels eventually, but I don't think there's a way to replace studs and not break the old 1x and cedar shake. Is there a way to repair the outside in the interim in preparation for the Allura paneling? I don't suppose there's a way to sister in fiber cement into cedar shake? Of course it would be a temporary situation until we side the entire house.
Attached Thumbnails
And we have rot-img_20181103_173452697.jpg   And we have rot-img_20181103_173533235.jpg   And we have rot-img_20181103_173522590.jpg   And we have rot-img_20181103_173500998.jpg   And we have rot-img_20181103_173441828.jpg  

Old 11-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
retired framer

I have fixed something like that before. we cut 1 1/2 in off the front of all the studs and replaced that with a 2x8.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #9

I have a few options, sister a stud for now, repair the rotted studs when we do siding later.
Or, repair it all now, use OSB, Tyvek and GAF siding shingles https://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Weat...00WG/202019843. The shingles will hold us over until we go smooth fiber sidings.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #10

The outside area of the bath
Attached Thumbnails
And we have rot-img_20181104_113807457.jpg  
Old 11-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #11
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblvnnwtnjhn View Post
The outside area of the bath
Do you want suggestions on the fix with out damage to the outside.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Do you want suggestions on the fix with out damage to the outside.
Of course all suggestions are welcomed. I just want to do it correct, because leaving any rot behind is going to bother me. Unless we can devise a away to address this to get my bath remodel moving forward and leave room for me to repair it when we do the siding at a later date. My concern is repairing it later, replacing studs, may crack the new tile?

I will be the first to admit this is all new territory for me, but I am willing to listen, seek expert advice before taking the balls to the walls approach.

I do have a window craftsman coming by this week to quote rebuilding the window. The other option is this https://www.homedepot.com/p/American...BUCK/203157489 but it's a tad wider than the current framing.

I currently have roughly 34" 3/4 x 26"

Last edited by oblvnnwtnjhn; 11-04-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
retired framer

Do you have a circular saw with the little fence that came with it and a re cip saw?

Are you going to remove the tub?
Old 11-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #14

No but I can get one. Undecided yet if we're going to remove the tub. I know it's hard to give advise over the web with just pictures to go by. I really need to get my grandfather in law over here in person to give me his suggestions. But I appreciate any and all suggestions to consider.

What are you suggesting and will I need to check local codes to see if it's legal?
Old 11-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #15
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblvnnwtnjhn View Post
No but I can get one. Undecided yet if we're going to remove the tub. I know it's hard to give advise over the web with just pictures to go by. I really need to get my grandfather in law over here in person to give me his suggestions. But I appreciate any and all suggestions to consider.

What are you suggesting and will I need to check local codes to see if it's legal?
No you don't need a permit, I have done this before with an engineer looking over my shoulder.

The one stud that is real important here is the one that is rotten it is the one holding the header up the one on the right just locks that one in place and the two on the left are holding up the sill.

The plan will be to remove 1 1/2" off the face of all four studs and replace that with one piece.
If the rot is deeper we will adjust the plan when we can see it,
Next post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
oblvnnwtnjhn (11-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement