Waterproofing Walls/floor? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2017, 05:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 60

Waterproofing walls/floor?

I have a traditional walk in shower that I'm working on and so far, I've got my preslope in and my pan liner. I'm about to work on my final mud floor and was wondering, when it comes time to waterproofing, should I apply the waterproof membrane (using regard) on the walls and floor? There seems to be different videos and opinions on this so I'd like to see what you all think
Keiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2017, 06:09 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,640

Re: Waterproofing walls/floor?

If your pan has the proper pvc liner tacked up a foot along the walls, and your CBU is in place, your final slope in, it should not need further "waterproofing", but I have used Red Gard on floors and walls (at customer's request) on a few occasions. Nothing wrong with it and if it makes you feel secure, then $60 a gallon is a steal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

It was the "cons" that people stated were possible that got me asking. Not sure if they are just theories or what but it's stated that having a pan liner, mud floor, and waterproofing on top of that will cause moisture to be trapped in between.

I don't know if this has been done long enough for anyone to say for sure what the effects are, if any, but I wanted to ask around before doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
Naildriver

Unless you leave holes, water won't infiltrate Red Gard, so that moisture problem shouldn't exist.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #5

Got ya. Even then, isn't the whole point of the liner plus the preslope to direct any moisture (non excessive) to the weep holes? Unless, like you said, there is any kind of infiltration in the waterproofing, there shouldn't be any issues. Guess I'll go ahead and do it and hope for the best. Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
Naildriver

Quote:
liner plus the preslope to direct any moisture (non excessive) to the weep holes?
That is correct. So using Red Gard on the floor of the shower is overkill.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiv View Post
Got ya. Even then, isn't the whole point of the liner plus the preslope to direct any moisture (non excessive) to the weep holes? Unless, like you said, there is any kind of infiltration in the waterproofing, there shouldn't be any issues. Guess I'll go ahead and do it and hope for the best. Thanks
I like tiling over a waterproofed surface as the mortar/cbu won't suck the thinset dry before you set the tile.

Cures better too.

And makes for a dry shower. Important for a high use shower.
Erico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

It's not a good idea to surface waterproof a shower floor if it's built using the traditional shower pan system. Yes, moisture can get trapped if it enters from the walls. That is why I recommend total waterproofing systems such as Kerdi shower systems.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement