Waterproofing For Special Tub To Shower Conversion - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2017, 06:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Waterproofing for special tub to shower conversion

Hello all...new to the community.

Here is the situation. I have an old tub with tile surround at the far end of bathroom which I am going to tear out and replace with a walk in shower. Here is the rub..I don't want a tiled shower floor or shower pan but rather a Japanese/spa type of drain through teak floor.

I would really, really love to have the wood on grade with the rest of the floor
but my bathroom is slab home built in the 60's in Hawaii and the current tub/vinyl floor is directly on concrete grade, so I just don't see a way of doing that, unless I grind/chip out enough depth all around where the wood decking would go. If someone has an idea there I'm all ears. But in lieu of that, I'll settle for small curb to give enough depth to contain the wood floor.

Sorry, I tried to post examples but it says since it's my first post I can't use links or images.

I know what I would need to to if I was putting in a pan or tiling the floor, but I'm not sure about what I need to do to waterproof if I a just putting a custom built wood deck over the drain.
I was thinking of just wrapping like a normal tiles shower would be, converting the drain to 2" shower and bringing it up slightly but not as much as I might to do a full tiled shower floor. then using leveling cement(forgot the name for the waterproof shower specific kind for this application) to level it up to the new 2" drain and pitch it for good drainage. Then using that red stuff to seal it all...then just build my custom wood deck so it has something like rubber feet to keep it level on this surface. Then the overhead rain type showerhead will just drain through and run down out the regular shower drain.

Sorry if this isn't clear.

Thoughts?
richmondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement