Wall Removal - Kitchen - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Wall removal - kitchen

Hello, again.
I am exploring options to open up our kitchen which is 17 x 9. I have thought about removing the short wall but it carries the above floor joists.

The 17ft wall is between our kitchen and dining room. it does not have joists, but has a wall directly above it. This wall splits a bedroom and ensuite bath, with the bath above the kitchen.

There is no weight from the roof on this wall.

Below the kicthen and dining room is a one car garage. below the wall in question there seems to be a post at one end, against the exterior wall,.

Is there any way for me to remove this wall? how would you go about supporting it in order to place a beam? do i even need to?

FWIW, i have some experience doing renos, but will not be doing this on my own.

Thanks.

Last edited by jaigordon87; 03-24-2018 at 04:47 PM.
jaigordon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Wall removal - kitchen

From your description, the wall seems to be load bearing. If that's the case, you'll need a steel or LVL header. It's always better to hire an architect to draw some plans especially if a permit is needed. You don't want a problem 10 years later if you decide to sell the house.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 26

Thanks.!

I am sort of at the point where i am trying to figure out if this is really necessary.

I took out the bit about a structural beam in the garage because i don't actually know that. it is fully dry walled. There is a post at one end, directly under this wall, or so it appears.

I just don't understand what kind of weight could be on it if the joists run parallel and no bracing from the roof either?

I should add, there is a pass through already, but it is only about 30"s. The wall is the only 2x6 interior wall in the house, but i assumed that was because it carriers the sewer and pipes from the bathrooms above. I was just going to build a large post to hide this.
jaigordon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

It's really not clear to us exactly what you have. Some pics might help but my answer is still the same. It sounds like a load bearing wall & I still suggest an architect to draw some plans, if you still want to remove the wall. I think that you are focused too much on the roof. Structure is from the bottom up.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement