Wall Mounted Range Hood - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 94

Wall mounted range hood

Hello,

I probably should have posted here before starting my project but what can you do. I live and learn.

So I just had a friend put in a tiled backsplash and now I am ready to install my range hood. I have noticed that right now I can only locate one stud (where the electrical wire is that will feed into my range hood to turn it on).

My problem is the range hood is around 200 pound (euro style wall mounted and made by sirius) and I can't seem to locate enough studs to hold this (or so I think). I don't know what to do here as I am at a loss. It also seems like my stud finder isn't consistent with the location of the stud. Any tricks of the trade someone has that I can apply here? I would hate to start cutting into the tile.

Not being an extremely handy guy yet logical, I don't see that even if I hire someone to do this that they will be able to.

Damn builder could have put 2 studs beside each other considering I gave them the specs of my range hood. Guess I am in dream land.

Any ideas would really help me. If you need pics, I can provide those as well.

Thx so much!!
mailbox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 592

If you know where 1 stud is located measure 16" on either side to find another. Also, probe with a drill in the mortar joints behind where the hood will mount.

Last edited by rjniles; 07-14-2015 at 09:16 PM.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #3

Thanks rjniles,

I have located the first stud which is right next to the electrical wire sticking out. This distance is about 14 inches. The problem I am facing is my total width between the 2 cup boards to which I will be installing the range hood is only 32 3/4 inches. So that means that I can locate 2 studs (1 at14 inches and the other at 30 inches (based on what you said).

However, the mount that will hold the range hood has 5 holes, 2 of the ones that are one the same vertical are only 5 1/2 inches apart. Of all the holes in this mount this will mean that I can only secure this mount to 1 stud (the one at 14 inches).

What will I need to do to secure the rest of the holes?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 06:04 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 592

Not grasping the layout of the mounting bracket. Post a picture.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,168

Does your installation manual look something like this......?
Its really not that hard. Just draw some lines on the drywall, and make straight, clean cuts and pull out that piece of drywall so you have access to the studs.
Attached Thumbnails
Wall mounted range hood-instructions.jpg  
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #6

Hello,

Attached are the pictures. Sps yes that is what the bracket looks like. In hindsight I probably should have done that to the drywall, but I mentioned it is now tiled

I was thinking the studs wood be there.

What options do I have now

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Wall mounted range hood-img_20150715_175738_hdr.jpg   Wall mounted range hood-img_20150715_175810_hdr.jpg  
Old 07-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,168

Sure you are not exaggerating on that 200 pound weight ?

If one screw is into structure, you could use toggle bolts on the other two. But if that hood is really 200 pounds, and that is the only bracket holding it up, I would want all three screws into structure.

What is on the other side of that wall ? Maybe you can add some structure from the far side.

Or you can have a new bracket made up that is wide enough to span two or three studs. That would be pretty simple work for a sheet metal shop. So long as it would be hidden by the hood.

Or if a bracket that spans 2 studs would be visible, maybe make a new bracket that is, for example, 12" tall, so that you can get 3 screws vertically into structure, and 3 more toggle bolts on the side (separated by some distance, so the toggle bolts are not all pulling on the same little piece of drywall).

That's going to look real good when you are done.

Last edited by SPS-1; 07-15-2015 at 05:40 PM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,264

Products come with brackets but that doesn't mean you have to use them. You could probably drill right thru the back of the hood anywhere you like. Can you see the back panel from underneath ?

Can you snap a picture of the back of the hood?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #9

So I did lie. I checked the book again and see that it is 125 pounds (see attached).

Pugsy I agree that I can put holes anywhere however, I seem to only have 2 studs to work with unfortunately.

I don't know what can hold 125. See attached for back of the unit.

Again guys/gals I am novice trying to save a few bucks on install
Attached Thumbnails
Wall mounted range hood-img_20150715_185506.jpg   Wall mounted range hood-img_20150715_185622.jpg  
Old 07-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailbox14 View Post
So I did lie. I checked the book again and see that it is 125 pounds (see attached).

Pugsy I agree that I can put holes anywhere however, I seem to only have 2 studs to work with unfortunately.

I don't know what can hold 125. See attached for back of the unit.

Again guys/gals I am novice trying to save a few bucks on install
Piece of cake.

Drill holes where you need them.
4 only 2", #10 screws will hold that up. Go three on each stud and call it good. Put a piece of blocking behind where the step is so the screws don't deform the back panel when you drive them in.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #11

Thumbs down

Ok pugsy,

I think you lost the layman here again I am not that experienced but experienced enough to drill some holes

What does 4 only 2 mean? Are you saying 4 holes at 2 inches each? Also are you telling me to drill into the actual hood? And add 3 screws where? Sorry a bit confused here and a bit nervous to deviate.

Could you spell it out for me a bit more?

Also, just asking here, what if I didn't want to drill into the range hood? Will the bracket not be possible here?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I understand this 100 percent before I start drilling into my backsplash.

You help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

4 only is quantity. Sorry, I describe things at work this way. It means drill 4 holes, but 6 is better.
2", #10 is a screw size you'll find at the apron stores.

Do not fear drilling holes. You own the hood.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #13

Thanks Pugsy

I guess I will try that out. That will mean I will have 3 screws, if I can next to the electrical box and then 16 inches over which is the least amount of steel it may be difficult to add three screws. As long as it holds I am good

Do I need a special drill bit to drill through tile? What size drill head should I use for the #10 screws. Perhaps I can drill through the grout. Not sure how thick #10 screws are but I think you said 2 inch. I will figure it out.

Thanks again Pugsy
Old 07-16-2015, 05:37 AM   #14
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailbox14 View Post
Thanks Pugsy

I guess I will try that out. That will mean I will have 3 screws, if I can next to the electrical box and then 16 inches over which is the least amount of steel it may be difficult to add three screws. As long as it holds I am good

Do I need a special drill bit to drill through tile? What size drill head should I use for the #10 screws. Perhaps I can drill through the grout. Not sure how thick #10 screws are but I think you said 2 inch. I will figure it out.

Thanks again Pugsy
Use a 1/4" bit to get thru the tiles.

2" is the length of the screws. If you're just going thru the sheet metal back, 1-1/2" should be fine.

When screwing thru a sheet metal box, screwing in the center part of the box will not draw it tight to the wall. Screws close (about an inch) from corners where it's strong will pull it tight to the wall. This is important only for the top screws.

If you can get 2 screws into each stud, you should be fine.

Keep in mind that I'm only going by what I see in your pics. Take a good look at things and make sure that when it's installed, you won't see screws showing or blocks of wood, etc when looking at the hood after it's hanging up.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #15

Thanks Pugsy.,

Wish me luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement