Is This Wall Cabinet Install A Problem - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 866

Is this wall cabinet install a problem

Despite my contractor's assurances that these two wall cabinets are installed secrrely, I have come to have little faith in its work and expect it to do the cheapest work it can get away with (despite the fact that it is a relatively expensive job."

Before I complained, their installer hung the two with two screws for the smaller left cabinet and four for the larger right cabinet. Instead of using countersunk screws that were then capped with plug for appearances, the shiny ones with washers depicted were used.

The installer said he could only affix the small right hand cabinet to a single stud as the nearest other stud was 4" to the right of the cabinet. I am wondering why the remodeler didn't have a horizontal nailer inserted between the studs while they had the wall opened up for other work.

I am also concerned that they notched the plywood backing just under the main body of the cabinet to make an opening for the wiring to be connected up to under cabinet lighting.

I guess my questions are:
1. Should I insist that they take the small cabinet down, open the wall, and insert a nailer or stud of some sort that will enable a solid installation.
2. Should they be using some other sort of screw system to affix the cabs to the wall?
3. Is there going to be a problem with the way the cabs were notched for the wiring?

I may be being picky, but if there is a problem it is best to take care of it before that wall is covered with backsplash tile.

I am told that the backs of those cabinets are 1/2" plywood.

Some pics are attached. Thanks. If this is fine as is, cool, but a lot of the stuff they tried to get away with was crap and with this forums help it looks like they fixed a lot of things (but sometimes only having after going to the city).
Attached Thumbnails
Is this wall cabinet install a problem-20150926_180502.jpg   Is this wall cabinet install a problem-20150926_181050.jpg   Is this wall cabinet install a problem-20150926_180852.jpg   Is this wall cabinet install a problem-20150810_105403.jpg   Is this wall cabinet install a problem-20150926_190353.jpg  

Last edited by Klawman; 09-26-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2015, 11:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

The wall(sheetrock) should have been removed and blocking installed behind where the wall cabinets are being installed. That way you can put the screws in where they support the cabinets instead of just where the studs happen to be. Typical numb nuts contractor install.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 12:02 AM   #3

Thanks Ron. That, as I typed my post, was a gimme. Would you think there is likely to be problems down the road if some blocking isn't installed?

BTW, the same contractor screwed up am sink installation for the second time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

If the cabinets were good quality--and screwed into the back stiffener (usually 2" wide--at the inside top and bottom of the back panel) they might be alright---

Using wall anchors into the drywall is also acceptable for a smaller cabinet that is secured to at least one stud---
Old 09-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,770

What's with the wiring in the final picture? What a cobbed up mess that appears to be.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,897

I got to agree with the others. It sounds like a half butt install.

If they are surface mount 4 toggle bolts in each will hold them and all contents to securely attached drywall. If recessed they need at lest 2 screws at the top screwed into the framing and I prefer 4. Side screwed into framing is also acceptable.

If that notch is into the ledger frame board (the top and bottom band that adds the strength) of the cabinet then I would be very concerned. Actually I would probably not accept the job.

Sorry, I could not be more positive.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,188

Also check and see what kind of screws they used. (and how long.)

"Cabinet screws" really do hold very well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GRK-Faste...3079/203525221

ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If the cabinets were good quality--and screwed into the back stiffener (usually 2" wide--at the inside top and bottom of the back panel) they might be alright---

Using wall anchors into the drywall is also acceptable for a smaller cabinet that is secured to at least one stud---
I don't know what you mean by a back stiffener. The back of the cabinets is 1/2" plywood. They are then mounted on the sheet rock. I believe the large wall cabinets have 4 screws affixed into studs at the top and bottom. The ones depicted is the small cabinet on the other side of the range.

As for quality, they aren't the best but not supposed to be junk. They are Dynasty by Omega, a subsidiary of Masterbrand Cabinets.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
What's with the wiring in the final picture? What a cobbed up mess that appears to be.
Most of that wiring is from the original build 20+ years ago. Some of the white Romex is wiring for cabinet lights temporarily wrapped about other wires. I aam nor electrician, but the electrical part of that wall seemed alright to me with the exception of how the NM is then passed through holes in the drywall and a notch in the bottom of the cabinet. The last picture shows what I mean.

http://www.diychatroom.com/attachmen...926_190353.jpg

Last edited by Klawman; 09-27-2015 at 04:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Klawman For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
I got to agree with the others. It sounds like a half butt install.

If they are surface mount 4 toggle bolts in each will hold them and all contents to securely attached drywall. If recessed they need at lest 2 screws at the top screwed into the framing and I prefer 4. Side screwed into framing is also acceptable.

If that notch is into the ledger frame board (the top and bottom band that adds the strength) of the cabinet then I would be very concerned. Actually I would probably not accept the job.

Sorry, I could not be more positive.
Don't apologize for negativity. This is the time to fix things; before the backsplash is tiled.

That isn't ledger board but the lower part of the box's 1/2" back. The screws may be some kind of cabinet screw. They take a square driver rather than a phillips or common.

Last edited by Klawman; 09-27-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
Also check and see what kind of screws they used. (and how long.)

"Cabinet screws" really do hold very well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GRK-Faste...3079/203525221

I already asked and I believe the length was 2 inches. Perhaps longer
Old 09-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawman View Post

That isn't ledger board but the lower part of the box's 1/2" back.

If you are positive the cabinet has a 1/2" back (some modern ones do) and not a board frame support (ledger board probably isn't the correct term) with 1/4 back then that cut isn't as bad.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
If you are positive the cabinet has a 1/2" back (some modern ones do) and not a board frame support (ledger board probably isn't the correct term) with 1/4 back then that cut isn't as bad.
Without ripping the cabinet apart, I can't be positive but this is a picture taken of where the bottom of one side of the cabinet meets the wall. Those plies measure 1/2" and insert into a notched section of the one side of the cabinet.

The following three pictures may better explain the construction. The first is the left corner where it meets the wall. The second a view of the cabinets entire bottom, and the third shows where the right side of the cabinet mates with the face frame
Attached Thumbnails
Is this wall cabinet install a problem-20150927_213349.jpg   Is this wall cabinet install a problem-20150927_213649.jpg   Is this wall cabinet install a problem-20150927_213429.jpg  
Old 09-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #14

It sure looks like you are correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
Klawman (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 118

1. Should I insist that they take the small cabinet down, open the wall, and insert a nailer or stud of some sort that will enable a solid installation.

Not required, these are properly secured, very typical cabinet installation. If the small cabinet's face frame is secured to another cabinet's face frame all the cabinets act as a unit.

Check the Cab Mnf's installation information, to be sure.

2. Should they be using some other sort of screw system to affix the cabs to the wall?

They appear to be truss head - washer head screws which are correct and appropriate for this application, expeically through 1/2" plywood. 2 1/2" long screws are typical and having 1.5" of screw into stud is fine.

3. Is there going to be a problem with the way the cabs were notched for the wiring?

Once again very typical technique and standard practice in most areas.

Last edited by Wild Willard; 09-28-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Wild Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Willard For This Useful Post:
Klawman (09-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement