Walk In Shower Over Concrete Slab?? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 944

Walk In shower over concrete slab??

I'm curious, I'm working towards building a walk-in-shower in our basement bath. I have yet to pour the slab under where the shower will sit, but I'm curious, being as it's over concrete and if I do a concrete curb all the way around, do I have to actually make a water tight pan under it?

I believe the resounding answer will be yes and I've been reading up on how to build them, BUT it seems like places like the YMCA, state parks, etc seem to just have the drain in the concrete floor. I think the Y has them tiled, and maybe they have an official pan under them.

I plan on tiling the walls and floor, but I'm a little curious as to the reasoning for the pan on an on grade cement floor shower. I know concrete absorbs water, which actually helps it cure, so what does water seeping through hurt?
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,466

Re: Walk In shower over concrete slab??

No help for you, but when I was a kid I plowed the fields with a farmer's D John Deere and came in brown all over body parts with dirt/dust and ears full from a 14 hour day.

The shower drain is still in the concrete floor in that wash house where I showered. A person only one time forgot to re-fill the 55 gallon drum that set on top of the wash house roof because if he did forget the shower water that was to be solar heated the following day and didn't get the solar rays was sure a cold beech the next night.

Those were the good Ole Days.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,612

If you haven't poured the slab, and can engineer a slope to the drain around the confines of your wall, you could feasibly coat the floor and up on the cbu with Red Gard and tile them both. You remember most showers are built on flat floors and the preslope and slope with liner are necessary items.

Venture to Rifle, Colorado to the restaurant/shower house and all they have are pallets for you to stand on in the shower stalls. Water just runs down onto the ground, so there are different ways of accomplishing the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 944

The slab isn't poured and I don't see why I couldn't slope it as I pour it. I've heard of Red Gaurd, guess I need to go look it up again. Thanks.

I just think it seems like a lot of extra work to pour a flat slab, then line it and then pour another think sloped surface on top of that....
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement