Venting A Micowave Blower Where??? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 93

Venting a micowave blower where???

Hey Everyone,

Remodeling the kitchen and am putting a microwave over the stove. Want to vent it outside.

Questions:

Can I use Flex hose/dryer vent hose for this?

What is the largest hole you can pop thru a 2X8 safely?

What have some of you done??? I have the ceiling wide open down to the joists right now so I'd like to do it now before insulation and sheetrock.
Thx.
johnpma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,130

The installation instructions for the microwave should tell you what size vent you need. I've only ever installed one, and it used rectangular duct (3 x 10 I believe).
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
Hey Everyone,

Remodeling the kitchen and am putting a microwave over the stove. Want to vent it outside.

Questions:

Can I use Flex hose/dryer vent hose for this?

What is the largest hole you can pop thru a 2X8 safely?

What have some of you done??? I have the ceiling wide open down to the joists right now so I'd like to do it now before insulation and sheetrock.
Thx.
You shouldn't use dryer duct for the microwave. It would help if you posted a picture of the area or described the situation you have. Is the exterior wall behind the stove/micro setup or will this need to be routed somewhere? If routed, be aware of the limitation as to distance you can go. Every turn you make reduces the ability of the fan to vent properly.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

The vent on that appliance (by code) must be a smooth metal interior. I have not done it any other way nor would I. Using a flex hose, would be like making one long grease trap. Most OTR microwaves require either a 3x10 duct or min. of 6" round. Either way notching or boring a 2x8 joist that size would not be allowed except in the rim joist. I believe the largest hole would be 2.5" but not in the middle 3rd of the joist. Putting in ducting that size (if you could find it) is not going to work. Two story house?
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 534

The instructions with the appliance should be pretty explicit as to the type and size of ducting required.

Some go so far as to help you calculate acceptable distances.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 93

Thanks everyone for the resonses. I will post pics as soon as I purchase the unit and see what size metal vent box I need. It is a 2 floor cape and I'm thinking I can go thru the roof (with regret hate going thru the roof for anything) There is a small closet above the micro wave area. It would be a straight shot....
johnpma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

johnpma
I'v done this type of installation used a 3"x10" to 6"dia metal duct 90 than the 6" up thru the roof, make sure to insulate (fiberglass with foil) seal joints with fire proof caulk.

I had good luck with this for years, untile rerouting the exausting duct 10' out to a gable end wall (don't like holes in the roof) now I have some condensation problems wet insulation. It maybe because I had a leak in a joint blowing thru the fiberglass insulation. Repairing that mess now some how don't want to go back thru the roof.
kurtkrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement