Vanity Or Tile First - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vanity or tile first

We're remodeling a small bathroom. Should be tile before we put the new vanity in.
Amanda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #2

We are remodeling a small bathroom. Should I tile first before I put in the vanity? I do not want to put in the tile until after the work is done with my bathtub. However, we are having Wayne's coating installed and the installer said he would install the vanity. Can I easily take out the vanity after the Wayne's coating is put in so I can tile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

Some people will say to do the tile first - less cuts, but it's not a hard and fast rule.
Whichever works for you.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
Amanda59 (04-03-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Anytime there is a choice, the vanity is best installed after the floor tiles. However, because of the wainscoting it may be wise to install it first. But why not do the floor, then the vanity and then the wainscot? I think someone wants to get it done and not return for a second trip. What are you using for sanitary base molding?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Amanda59 (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #5

Vanity or tile floor first

Thank you Blondesense and JazMan for the answers. We are installing the tile floor but do not want to do it until after the people are done with what they are doing. We are hoping this will eliminate any damage to the tile they might do when installing the bathtub, shower enclosure and wainscot. (Thank you, JazMan, for the proper spelling.) Maybe we'll have them install the bathtub and shower enclosure and come back for the wainscot. There shouldn't be that much traffic in the bathroom once that is done. We are putting up green board in the bathroom. We thought the tile would go right up to the wainscot...or under if they install it afterwards...with grout right up to the end. Do you have a suggestion for a sanitary base molding?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250

Another consideration is how high you want the vanity. If you put it on top of tile, it will be the thickness of the tile (and the thinset) higher than if you put it on the subfloor. You can adjust that with plywood under the vanity, and then tiling around it.

If it were me, I'd tile first, then put the vanity in. That way you have a completely sealed floor, and no chance for water to get to the subfloor.

In addition, people are putting vanity counters higher than before, in some cases they go as high as a kitchen counter. Another reason to go on top of the tile.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd suggest to do the tile first and place the vanity on top of the tile. Yes, you will use more tile, but that all depends of the size of the vanity. I suggest this as it allows you the ability to change-out the vanity in the future, without having alignment issues with the floor tile.

Example: We are starting a bathroom renovation next week, where water damage from a leaking pipe, also caused damage to the lower area of the vanity. That vanity had the tile around it. Thus, the need now to tear up the floor and do a full re-tile. That utlimately led to the Home Owner's decision to just gut the bathroom and perform a full re-do with a larger vanity.

Additionally, about 50% of the bathrooms we do, the Home Owners will select a vanity on pedestal feet (raised off of the floor). That configuration requires full tile.

So, again - my suggestion is to go full tile on the floor and then install the vanity + top. The finish trim (including baseboard) would go in after those steps.

Good Luck with the project.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #8

Vanity or tile floor first

Great information! Thank you one and all. We will tile first and then have the wainscot installed.
Now, any thoughts on this situation. The vanity I have picked out is 35" tall. The wainscot is 30" tall. I'm told that there will be something like a bullnose at the top of the wainscot to finish it off OR we could spend $150 for a 6" decorative top. Even with that 6", it still won't be as tall as the vanity with the vanity top on it. Should we pay for the extra 6" or should the wainscot have a break in it where the vanity is? We want to do the job right and don't want it to look "cheap."
Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #9

Vanity or tile floor first P.S.

I would imagine it's a matter of personal choice, but just wanted to get some input. I really do appreciate all input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement