Using Kitchen Cabinets Efficiently - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 834

Using Kitchen Cabinets Efficiently

I'm looking for suggestions on how to organize my bottom kitchen cabinets. There is a lot of lost space in the corners and back because of the dishwasher blocking and the drain pipe being so obstructive.

I would like to be able to use the space more efficiently but with an inexpensive solution since we're not planning to remodel.

This is my kitchen:

Solidify is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,897

Roll out shelves, two levels in each base cabinet. That might be a problem in the one with the pipe going through it.

Not necessarily cheap but the function will amaze you long after the price paid is forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,214

Yep, roll out shelves (drawers). Very convenient.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 996

put shelves in there. put the seldom used stuff in the back, most used stuff up front.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #5

I've never installed that before and don't know how to do it, let alone with that pipe. How is this done?

And what about the blind spots in the corners? The corner near dishwasher and stove?
Old 02-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidify View Post
I've never installed that before and don't know how to do it, let alone with that pipe. How is this done?

And what about the blind spots in the corners? The corner near dishwasher and stove?

A 3 tier lazy susan works well in a blind corner. They waste some space but make what you have more usable.

Never installed what? There are at least 5 different options for roll out shelves. Some use drawer glides and can be a little harder to install. Others are self contained units that simply sit in the cabinet. The simplest which we have in one base cabinet in our kitchen is a series of tracks than can accept different size wire baskets. It simply sits inside the cabinet. I could not find a picture of it and it may or may not still be sold.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #7

shelves = cheap. roll outs = somewhat expensive. and they do waist a little space.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #8

Even if I wanted to go the least expensive route by installing shelves (as opposed to roll outs), how would I do that with the drain pipe in the way?
Old 02-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Even if I wanted to go the least expensive route by installing shelves (as opposed to roll outs), how would I do that with the drain pipe in the way?
go around the pipes, or whatever else that is in the way. sides, with those pipes, you may not even be able to use roll outs = they possible won't even fit.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Mount the shelf level just above the high point of the horizontal drain line. Use metal angles or wood ledger strips on the sides and the back while hoping that your cabinet sides and back have enough wood to hold the screws or nails.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #11

Nevermind this project. Tried using some wood ledger strips this morning but it's just too much of a pain because if I were to put the shelf at that height (above the high point of the horizontal drain line), all the items on the top shelf wouldn't be accessible since the front face of the cabinet has a 3" lip. It would just make everything more difficult to access in the end. Plus there's not enough support for the wood ledger strips; on one spot I only have the back wall to work with. I'll keep it like this.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #12

idk what exactly you did. but the upper shelves don't go all the way to the door opening.
they are back a little ways, say 10-12".
Old 02-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Browse through HOUZZ for ideas

Search for something like "under sink cabinet storage".

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1059410/...ry-minneapolis

Also, check out the products made by Rev-A-Shelf.

Last edited by MT Stringer; 02-16-2015 at 08:41 PM.
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:01 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 251

The roll out shelves will give you more accessible space. Although, you can also do a lot already without waiting for the new installs. You have to sort and categorize and then arrange your stuff. Right now they look like everything's just been tossed in with plastic containers falling all over each other. You could buy lid racks to hold your baking pans and chopping board or simply use cardboard boxes to keep them upright (saves space instead of baking pans and chopping boards loosely lying on top of each other). Plastic containers can be organized according to size so you can stack them on top of each other (saves space). Arrange the lids upright in a box.

Assign areas for each category - e.g., all food containers in one area, small appliances (mixers, choppers, etc.) in another.

You may also want to clean the insides (dusty pipes on top of cooking pans/pots). Painting the insides will also give a nice clean look.

Are those onions (in the Glad box) right next to cleaning supplies and under the sink with pipes that look like they're leaking?
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 254

Here ya go. Sounds like the narrator was talking to you. :-)
http://www.containerstore.com/videos...tm?videoId=118
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement