Updating A Shower For A Wheelchair - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Updating a shower for a wheelchair

My son (age 10) is severely disabled and requires a wheelchair to get around. Until recently, I was lifting him in and out of a shower chair in the tub in the hall bath, but he's gotten too tall and too heavy for me to continue to do this safely. I've been thinking of converting the master bath to serve as a wheelchair-accessible shower.

The master bath has a step-in shower with a recessed floor and sliding glass doors. It is a 6-inch step up and then a 7-inch step down. The shower is 3 feet wide and 5 feet long, too narrow to allow for a ramp of the proper length for the height of the step. My plan is to raise the shower floor to about 5 inches so I would only need a small ramp for the inside and a longer ramp for the outside,where there is more room to maneuver his chair. What tools and materials would I need for such a project?
HennaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 996

Re: Updating a shower for a wheelchair

i would have to see a pic of what you have. but from what you say, i would look into lowering the step to about 1" on the outside.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,636

Re: Updating a shower for a wheelchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i would have to see a pic of what you have. but from what you say, i would look into lowering the step to about 1" on the outside.
I agree, Using a Concrete cut off saw to remove most of the riser, to allow access is a better idea than a ramp up, then ramp down, to cause a trip hazard for you while wrestling a wheel chair. Once you cut away most of the riser, you can retile the area, and it will look fine.

I spent 20 years myself caring for an individual in a chair, so I have experience in the task.

Your son is going to grow even bigger sooner than you think, and be even harder to maneuver.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement