Unvoluntary Master Bath Remodel - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

Unvoluntary master bath remodel

A week ago or so the wife and I were in bed trying to fall asleep, when we heard the cat drinking water from the bathroom. I of course curious about the source of the water got up to investigate. I found the toilette tank slowly dripping onto the floor. So I shut it off, drained it and went to bed. The next morning I decided I better have a look in the crawl space to inspect after the wife mentioned that she caught the cat drinking off the floor a couple week ago, but neglected to tell me

In the crawl space I found a huge puddle of water on top of the vapor barrier

I some insulation down and found it dripping from under the toilette. I pulled the toilette and found quite a bit of moisture. So pulled a few tiles and found the moisture was actually pretty wide spread, under the fiberglass shower insert and under the adjoining walls and had wicked up into the drywall.

When I popped a few tiles off the wall and found some mold is when I committed to a full remodel.

I pulled the old tile and cbu to find linoleum over a particle board underlayment and an OSB subfloor. Got floor torn down to the subfloor over the entire affected area and have removed the shower insert (had to cut it up to get it out), also removed the bottom plate of all the affected walls and all the wet dry wall and insulation.

I'm officially in the drying phase and we're trying to catch up on the planning phase of the remodel since we didn't exactly go into this with a plan other than get the moisture and mold out

Here is where I'm at as of now

I have a concern which I'll ask below so it doesn't get lost in this initial post
Attached Thumbnails
Unvoluntary master bath remodel-20141019_173928.jpg   Unvoluntary master bath remodel-20141021_190634.jpg   Unvoluntary master bath remodel-20141025_173901.jpg   Unvoluntary master bath remodel-20141025_173923.jpg  

Last edited by Snails Pace; 10-27-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Snails Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #2

So as of now my only concern is that during the beginning of the drying phase I purchased several containers of damp-rid. At some point I knock one of the containers over but did not notice until several hours later after many of the crystals started to melt. I vacuumed it all up thinking that the issue was rectified.

Now after 24 hours of drying where everywhere else is at 10% moisture or less (after being at 24% or more) but this area has made no progress in drying.

My concern is the chemicle that asorbs the moisture is still present in the wood fibers even though I vaccumed it all up.

The active ingredient is calcium chloride. Tonight I decided if that chemical had melted from it's crystal state into a liquid and absorbed into the wood my besty bet would to be deliute it more. So I poured water over the area and scrubbed it down, then vacuumed it all up. Then I poured baking soda over the area to hopefully neutralize the acidity.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm really hoping this section doesn't have to be replaced as the rest of the subfloor is drying so nicely and it looks very well glued to the floor joists.

Here is a picture of the area after the indecent. It looks pretty much the same no, just no crystals. The area maxxs my moistre meter out at 55%.
Attached Thumbnails
Unvoluntary master bath remodel-20141025_231306.jpg  

Last edited by Snails Pace; 10-27-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I never have used a drying powder---that looks like a mess---either wash off the chemical and let it air dry or cut out the affected subfloor and install new--

By the way--nice clean demolition job----
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

Thank you, I hate working in a mess and I always pride myself in my work.

Looks my approach is working. The saturated area seems to be shrinking after sitting over night. And it no longer has that real dark wet wood look too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snails Pace For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-29-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #5

Well progress has been non existant for a couple of reasons. First trying to allow ample drying time, and two hunting season... I'm back at it though.

After a coupke of weeks the area that had the damp-rid spilt on it wasn't drying anymore. Also there was a small section of subfloor that I didn't like the looks of, so I opted to replace a section.

Because there were 3 pipes in such a small area I opted to cut them and redrill once my new floor and bottom wall plates were back in.

I got the blocking installed on the right side of the picture and on the left side I was able to save the tounge of the adjacent board.
Attached Thumbnails
Unvoluntary master bath remodel-20141109_180443.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #6

One concern I have is getting the new pipe for the toilet to seal properly.

Becuase of the short section I was working with I didn't have enough room to use a splice if I cut just cut the pipe. I heard about a technique of using heat to get the glues to release and then working the pipe out of the fitting.... Well that didn't work very well.

I got most of it out but there was still little pieces of the old pipe still in the fitting and glue. I took a flap wheel to the fitting and worked it until the new pipe fit in.

It's still a friction fit but the sealing surface isn't perfectly smooth. Is this going to cause sealing issues? I'm hoping not because I really don't want to replace the T

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Unvoluntary master bath remodel-20141109_180611.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #7

Got the new osb subfloor piece all mocked up and ready to get fastened down once I feel confident that my toilet fitting isn't going to cause me any issues.

I was able to use 3 factory edges so that was nice
Attached Thumbnails
Unvoluntary master bath remodel-20141109_180831.jpg  
Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That is looking good--Adding cross blocking at the seams is often a good option--helps to keep the seams from flexing--
Old 11-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,278

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how you got that sheathing in place.
It looks like one piece.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #10

It is one piece. Once all the pipes are cut away and the bottom plates of the walls are removed, it slides right in
The Following User Says Thank You to Snails Pace For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement