Unsure Of How To Paint Old Toilet Seat & Lid - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Unsure of How to Paint Old Toilet Seat & Lid

I either need to paint my 30 year old toilet seat & lid or just buy a new one. Some of the paint on the old one is worn down to what I assume is the wood. I think this is a wood seat anyway. It's heavy and seems to match the wooden ones in the stores.

My dad says the seat and lid need to be sanded and painted with a plastic paint, which only adds to my confusion. I don't know why you would paint a wood toilet seat with plastic paint or sand a plastic toilet seat. Is there anyway for me to tell if this is a wood or plastic seat?

Assuming it is wood, why would you use a plastic paint? What would be the correct paint to use? It looks like it would need a primer and two(?) coats of paint. This seat would be used daily, so is there a type of paint that would be best to use?

In my research, I've come across websites instructing to use wood paint, epoxy, and/or enamel. I am so confused. The only thing I'm certain of is that whatever I use, I want it to come in a spray can.
blu878 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blu878 For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (04-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

Re: Unsure of How to Paint Old Toilet Seat & Lid

for $20 to $30 buy a new seat, I am sure the old one doesn't owe you a nickle
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yodaman For This Useful Post:
jlhaslip (04-04-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 258

the old wooden seats are far from sanitary as the wood soaks up all the crap and piss over the years...replace with new plastic seat...
woodchopper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,466

I'll be painting two toilet seats in the near future about that age and look as if they were made of some composite material pressed. They'll get sanded lightly with 220 grit and wiped with a tac cloth.

I''ll be checking with my hardware store where I bought aerosol cans of paint to paint a seat I built of Poplar wood 10 or so years ago. Their paint wasn't cheap but I wasn't looking for how cheap rather how good but that seat doesn't need painting.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchopper65 View Post
the old wooden seats are far from sanitary as the wood soaks up all the crap and piss over the years...replace with new plastic seat...
Does this happen only after the wood becomes exposed? I would think that the paint or enamel would prevent anything from going through to the wood.

I think I will go ahead and buy a plastic seat. If my dad wants to paint the old one, he can do it himself (it will never get done).

So can anyone tell me why the standard plastic seats cost so much more than the special easy to remove seats? I can only assume that the standard seats have hinges of higher quality, longer durability.

This seat with the special hinges is $19.38, while this standard seat is $38.81. I'd prefer the second one because it looks easier to install, but that's a lot to pay. I'll probably end up with the first one.
blu878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,788

$40 is not a lot to pay. It gets used multiple times a day, and lasts many years.

You links didn't work for me, just went to a general Home Depot page.

If by special hinges you mean slow close, I think they are well worth it. Keeps people from dropping the seat with a bang.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 17,890

No way in a million years would I spend a second trying to refinish a toilet seat!!!
A ten min. fix to replace it.
Gymschu (04-06-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,452

Plastic, not cushioned - if considered. My parents used to have cushioned lids and the new ones (Bemis) were made with 1/4" ply and paper thin vinyl cover. They would have broken apart in a year.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 388

While you're at replacing the wooden toilet seat, the carpet in the bathroom is also seen by many as being gross.
1acre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #10
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

Why the heck is this even a discussion? But a new plastic seat.
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:52 AM   #11
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1acre View Post
While you're at replacing the wooden toilet seat, the carpet in the bathroom is also seen by many as being gross.

Reminds of when I was very young my father put down a long shag pink carpet in the bathroom. I am sure it felt good between the toes as apposed to the hardwood floors throughout the rest of the house. I don't recall how long it lasted, but the next floor was ceramic tile.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement