Uneven Floor For Shower Base - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2016, 01:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

Uneven floor for shower base

I'm putting a shower in my basement. The shower base is a Sterling pre-fab five feet wide and 34 deep.

Unfortunately, the concrete floor is about a quarter inch higher in the middle, where the drain is, than at the left and right sides. From back to front it is fairly level.

I could probably grind down the middle but that's a LOT of work and I'm doing this by myself and dragging a 200+ pound grinder up and down the steps doesn't sound like fun. Plus a quarter inch is a lot of grinding.

So, I think my options are to use a leveling compound to make the whole thing nice and level.

Or, to put down a layer of concrete mix and sink the base into that. I think the concrete needs to be about a quarter inch deep at the highest point - making it 1/2 deep at the edges.

My worry with both of these options is the binding of the compound or cement to the current cement floor. And, also the possibility of either breaking up at some point and having a creaking, uneven shower floor.

Actually, I'm more worried about the leveling compound (basically portland cement?)

Any other suggestions or preferences.

[Yes, I could build my own base but I don't have the time and am not that ambitious at the moment.]
kbartels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,054

Re: Uneven floor for shower base

Grind the surface of the slab with a cup grinder so the surface is clean and porous. Add a nice bed of mortar and set the tub. Make sure the drain trap is good while it's easy to get to.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement