Undermount Sinks - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

undermount sinks

I am building a new countertop for my in-laws. I've got some experience building tops but I've never done one for a undermount sink. I'm afraid water can get under the p-lam and ruin the industrial grade particle board. Does anyone know how I can waterproof the particle board before I put the laminate on?
walleyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

it didn't work out...

Jim,

I don't mean to be rude, but perhaps you are having a laugh here?

Nevertheless, a true story:

Once upon a time I was remodeling a client's home on a T&M basis (I'll just say that it didn't work out; I was young.).

Anyway, one piece of the job was driven by her rather unusual fondness for formica counters and her quest for an undermount sink. If I recall correctly, she had a Popular Mechanics article, or something along those lines, and the process involved some crazy router work, molds and liquid epoxy cast in place to create a impervious rim around the sink.

Needless to say, Italian marble would have been cheaper and quicker, and I mean if we flew in an Italian to work on the marble.

I am sure there is way, but I am also pretty sure there is a reason these two things don't go usually go together.

Good luck,

Rory

RDG Read Development LLC
Portland, OR
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

you need to use a kit that makes it possible to use a undermount sink with formica. these work, but I would not recommend it for the DIYer. Best to use a lipped sink and be safe. You are heading for disaster here. And particle board is not used for making counter tops.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Before there was solid surface and before the cost of natural stone fell to where normal people could afford it there was plastic laminate or Formica. Forty years ago when I was building counter tops and cabinets out of plastic laminate and industrial grade particle board (tops only) for a living we would run across the occasional undermount sink, I just don't remember how we waterproofed the particle board. I will not be treated as an idiot , especially by someone who obviously doesn't know anything from before 1995.
walleyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

you say in your post you have never done one then your last post you have. which is it?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

you are attempting to something wrong! It was wrong back in the day that you say you did this and it is still wrong. If you do not want to know the correct answers go somewhere else. No one posted anything to this question that indicates we think you are an idiot. Except with this last comment I might have to change my mind. you can seal the edges with acrylic vinyl lacquer. But it will wear and loose protection. Poly is the hardest finish and this too needs to be recoated to retain it's protective value. Are you expecting the housewife to recoat these edges every year? Do a search for laminate undermount kits to see what is involved in doing this right. And there is nothing wrong with laminate tops. These still account for 75% of the market.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

I do apologize.

Jim,

I do apologize. I did not mean to offend.

It's precisely because I have not been in the trades for as long as you that I first asked if you might be joking, looking to see if someone might bite at a joke.

I learned something from Bob: I had no idea there were kits to do it. If anyone ever asks for it in their kitchen down the road, I will be able to offer a more informed response.

Again, good luck, and thanks for participating.

Rory Read

RDG Read Development LLC
Portland, OR
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

"Industrial Grade" particle board???

I'm smiling at that one! What's the brand name of this stuff. I'd like to learn more about such a product. What is it that makes it "Industrial Grade"?

I too think you are barking up the wrong tree, sorry.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

I believe that "Industrial Grade" can be found next to the "Commercial Grade" at Home Depot.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 534

Aww, I think you guys scared him off.

That is really too bad as the OP doesn't know the wealth of knowledge that is available here and he will be missing out on.

The first, and likely the most important lesson to be learned on here, is you guys won't tell me what I WANT to hear, you will tell me what I NEED to hear. Some people can't deal with that I guess.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

.....and if you don't want to be viewed as an idiot don't act like an idiot!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,140
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

There are three types of people here.

1 : Those willing to give out good advice.

2 : Those looking for good advice and willing to listen to reasonable suggestions

3 : Those looking for a particular answer to a question they think they already know the answer to.

Between 2 and 3, which one would you rather try to help?
Advertisement