Under Cabinet Lighting - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

under cabinet lighting

We are redoing our kitchen and was owndering if anyone had suggestions on the best undercabinet lighting?
ddono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddono View Post
We are redoing our kitchen and was owndering if anyone had suggestions on the best undercabinet lighting?
Pick something that does not generate excessive heat.
Flourescents work. I don't know about the new LED's heat output, but the price points are still up there.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
ddono (03-29-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

@ddno - I just installed in my kitchen xenon hard wired. I went to a few lighting stores to see the stuff "in action." I qwas set on LED lighting b/c of what I read about heat, energy efficiency and long lasting.

Our UC lighting is really to show off our handywork on the backsplash and the granite counter, and perhaps al ittle task lighting, but the lighting in the space from overhead is more than enough, so mostly for show

Upon seeing the difference between Xenon and LED, it was by far Xenon. LED seemed too "white" of a light... we eliminated flourecent early on for that reason too, only aesthetics.. otherwise, Ron is right. Halogen is a no-no.. too much heat. Xenon gives off a bunch of heat too, not as much as halogen.. and we figured we wouldn't have them on 24/7.

This is the product we ordered in a couple different sizes to accomodate the cabinet lengths: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GWVHK2
LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LeviDIY For This Useful Post:
ddono (03-29-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 462

Xenon seems to give off much less heat that halogen from what I've checked out. Still havn't committed to buying lights.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Halogens are hot. You can get small florescents in just about any color temp from a lighting store, not a box store. I would look into LED tube arrays. They are cool (in many ways), are available in more color temps now and while expensive? The bulbs may outlast your ownership of the house.

Definitely visit a kitchen or lighting store to see your options in action. The library should have kitchen and lighting magazines to browse as well.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement