Type Of Mortar: Setting Bathtub - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
pmp

Rewards Points: 30

Type of mortar: setting bathtub

Hello!

I'm installing a bathtub tomorrow, and have a question about the type of mortar to use for setting a bathtub in mortar.

I've been reading and rereading posts about this, but still unsure.

As I understand it, I want to use a mortar that does not shrink, and gives me enough time to install and level the tub.

I picked up a bag of this "mortar mix" (Rapid Set brand), but it sets in 15 mins. Is that too quick? This is my first time, and I feel nervous that 15 mins may go by too quickly.

Would this Quikrete Mason Mix Type S be better? Only potential issue with this product is that it doesn't state "non shrink"...

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help!
pmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,356

Re: Type of mortar: setting bathtub

Hi pmp, I'll be watching as I have a 5' shower to install and it also stated to set it in mortar. Being in an outside corner I have no way to do anything under it so would need to just drop it which seemed stupid. So did a lot of searching and reading and finally determined the purpose was to prevent squeaking. Had nothing to do with support. My base unit has multiple feet that handle the support and the alternative approach to prevent squeaks was a pad. Blue box did not have the recommended pad so I have picked up a packing blanket from Harbor Freight and plan to use that.

I know I'm taking the easy way out, but my base sure looks like it can stand on its own feet.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,198

I would get the quickcrete above or sand / topping mix.
I usually put piles about every 10" apart and about 2" higher that bottom of tub. Disposable glove and make piles.

NOT used for squeaks. It is a cheap easy way to add a lot of extra support. Plastic (Vikrell, Fiberglass etc...) tubs can weaken a little over time and flex.

Just put down tar paper if you are worried about squeaks.

We are usually putting down new sheet vinyl floor with a tub replacement. Most of time vinyl goes down including under the tub. Then concrete on top of that.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
pmp

Rewards Points: 30

Thanks you two!

After continuing to research it seems that the sand mix is probably the best option, over the the S type mortar, as the sand mix will probably shrink less.

How wide are the piles that you make RRH?
pmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,087

Depends how much headspace you have between the subfloor and bottom of tub. You just need to space and size the piles so that there's mostly complete coverage between tub and floor where you want the support. (It's easier to squish 10 small piles into coverage than 1 big pile.)
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement