Trouble Finding Shower Stall For My Remodel - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

Trouble finding shower stall for my remodel

Hey folks,

In the planning phase of remodeling my master bath. I've been scouring Lowes and HD and other websites looking for a glass, frameless shower wall/door setup that fits what I want, but I can't seem to find anything. I'm wondering if I am wanting something ridiculous since I can't find any examples or will I have to go custom and spend a ton more money. Here is the layout of my current bathroom:

I will be removing the garden tub and ripping out and replacing the shower. The length of the current shower is around 40". Width is 33". Those are the dimensions of the prefab base. When I rip out the tub I will look to get a slightly longer shower. The distance from the wall with the shower head to the last stud before the window sill is around 52" so that will be the new length of my shower ideally. I really wanted the door on the end where the tub is now rather than on the side, opening into the room toward the vanity. Every system I see has the door opening outward rather than on the end. Is that an unreasonable ask?
cwb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2017, 04:58 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,638

Re: Trouble finding shower stall for my remodel

If you plan on making the shower the same size footprint as the existing garden tub, then the end door is viable. Just do away with the small shower all together. What are the dimensions of the garden tub footprint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 28

Re: Trouble finding shower stall for my remodel

I had toyed with putting the shower where the garden tub is to have a big luxurious shower, but I don't think I'm going to do that. That's a little more remodel than I care to execute myself, probably too much custom work which would drive the cost up. I'd have to integrate the window into the shower also which I don't want to do. I like being able to have the window open into the bathroom itself. So instead I was going to yank the tub, extend the shower back maybe 10" toward the window sill with a frameless glass enclosure and a new longer shower base and have the glass door open toward where the tub is now, rather than into the room. Put a bench or something against the far wall and just have some open space in the bathroom. Attaching some pictures here. If anyone has any suggestions for designs around this remodel, I am all ears. I'm likely a few months away from doing anything.

The reason for the remodel is really two fold. The garden tub never gets used. Ever. I'm 6'5" and my wife is 6'. We just don't fit, and certainly not together which ruins the fun So the tub has been used twice in 5 years and it's just taking up space so I'm yanking it.
The framed shower enclosure is just a mold magnet and i'm tired of it as well. It looks outdated and is a pain to clean. I'm also not a fan of the tiles in the shower or on the bathroom floor. The house is only 15 years old so I'm not looking at any major code or structural issues, I just want to modernize the bathroom and make all the space usable.

Again, open to any comments on design or remodel that maybe I haven't thought of. Thanks for looking.

cwb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement