Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes

Old 03-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 98

Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice

Hi Everyone,
So I'm in the process of installing a stainless-steel top-mount sink in my kitchen on some butcher block, the thing is...I can't seem to weasel the provided clips in whatsoever. Admittedly, this sink was an off-label amazon purchase, so I'm not surprised that the clips are on the janky side. They seem not to fit in this application whatsoever. I literally can't budge them in for the life of me. - The sink in-and-of-itself is actually pretty good quality steel. It's not flimsy or warping. It mostly sits flush aside from a small problem corner that is maybe 1/16 to 1/32" of a gap.. also in the very front of the sink there is a minor gap where I created triangular front piece to bridge the miter and create a corner sink, but ultimately this gap isn't going to be sucked in, so that might not be an issue here, just some extra caulk perhaps. I plan to use a lexel clear caulk. There will be a single garbage disposal involved, which I've read the rattling could pose an issue for a caulk-only clipless sink. ---- I've attached some pics for everybody below...if you'd be so kind:

1) Is it a bonehead move to try to install the sink with caulk only? The sink is pretty sturdy as I mentioned, and it's mostly flat and flush with the surface, not really bowing or waving aside from a small portion of the right corner that needs attention.
2) I figure I could try to weigh down the small area of need where there could be some extra pressure, and I figure I could also throw something on the heavier side like a pan or bucket filled with water in the sink to provide some weight.
3) If caulk-only in this application is moronic, does anybody have any suggestions for trying to get some clips on this bad boy? Are there universal clips that might be relevant here available online or at the big box retailers?

I've added pictures of the clips as well. Which will most likely be gracing my garbage with their presence. - Appreciate any help you guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice-sink-top.jpg   Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice-sink-front.jpg   Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice-sink-front-2.jpg   Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice-sink-right.jpg  
rkearns10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,546

Re: Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice

The ones that I have seen, had clips on the underside, pulling the sink down to seal.

Using the Clear caulk ( silicon), is done often, and works great to seal any water penetration.

Maybe you can adapt another type of fastener under the thing to replace what you have.

Would need to see how the clips that you have are supposed to be attached, to think of any replacement.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,476

The clips might for under mounting the sink.
I bought a bargain sink that turned out one size to big for my cupboard so no room for clips, I put a healthy bead of silicone down set the sink in it with 2 5 gal pales of water in it and left it for a day. 12 years later no problem yet.
de-nagorg and Johnny_inFL like this.
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,259

I think Neal is right—the clips are for undermounting it to granite, et al.

Just use silicone, make sure the top flange is weighted enough so that the gap the silicone is filling is even all the way around. Make sure you have a slight bead of silicone around the edge, to minimize anything getting under the flange.
huesmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,885

I don't see the clips picture. Clips go under.

Is the countertop more than 3/4" thick?

I seem to recall one time when I had to mortise just a bit off the bottom of the counter to get the clips to work in one spot.

They often go in different than they look. A picture of the clips and the track they insert into could yield better answers.

I'm old fashioned and use warmed plumber's putty but some do use caulk. A helper to push down on the sink while attaching the clips is always helpful.

edit: somewhere on the box or instructions it might refer to 'top mount sink' to define it as not suitable for mounting under granite. I suggest you post a link to the product you bought for better answers.

Last edited by Colbyt; 03-05-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Colbyt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

They possibly could be undermount clips, but they likely are top mount as they are coming with an obvious top mount flange.

Sometimes, I've had to cut or fill the bottom side of the counter to make a proprietary clip work....seems each manufacturer uses a slightly different system.

However, I think you will be fine with a good bead of silicon or a high adhesive caulk like Polyseamseal.

Whether that will anchor down you lippage tight is a little iffy... but the clips probably won't anyway...is the sink bent or is your counter not flat..????

I can't tell how important that lippage might be in your application and use.

Good luck
Old 03-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #7

These are the clips..I've purchased other clips but either I'm slow or something.but I can't for the life of me see how these would even work with a top mount sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice-clips.jpg  
Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 332

Now show us the underside of sink rim.
MTN REMODEL LLC and Nealtw like this.
Tymbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #9

Here's what I'm working with underneath, not much lip room to play with on the sides whatsoever, there's also no clip type rail on the side of the sink for clips to attach to. - I'm thinking I need to just Lexel the heck out of the top lip and throw some weights on the lip itself and a few 5 gallons with water in the center.
Attached Thumbnails
Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice-front-lip-2.jpg   Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice-front-lip.jpg   Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice-side-lip-1.jpg   Top Mount Sink - Clip Issue - Seeking Advice-side-lip-3.jpg  
Old 03-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
retired framer

Bend or swing the longer piece out of the way and the hooked part goes in the tab on the sink
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,885

Neal has nailed it but you would expect that from a framer.

I've never bought a new sink that did not include the correct clip as a part of the package.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Bend or swing the longer piece out of the way and the hooked part goes in the tab on the sink
Seems to be a possible solution!! Only thing is these clips aren't doing much, they simply aren't "sticking" into the wood. That little star shaped oval piece isn't fastened to the screw, and the grooves/teeth on the oval piece itself aren't aerial or sharp enough to catch the wood...and thus when I crank the thing it just spins and doesn't catch.

I think that approach might work perhaps with a different setup, maybe a different bolt in there or some kind of shim or something to catch.I took the provided bolt/oval piece out and tried a regular decking screw with a washer but the clip doesn't get good enough right angle positioning and just falls out when I screw it in.

This is driving me crazy!! But I'm going to keep thinking on it. Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkearns10 View Post
Seems to be a possible solution!! Only thing is these clips aren't doing much, they simply aren't "sticking" into the wood. That little star shaped oval piece isn't fastened to the screw, and the grooves/teeth on the oval piece itself aren't aerial or sharp enough to catch the wood...and thus when I crank the thing it just spins and doesn't catch.

I think that approach might work perhaps with a different setup, maybe a different bolt in there or some kind of shim or something to catch.I took the provided bolt/oval piece out and tried a regular decking screw with a washer but the clip doesn't get good enough right angle positioning and just falls out when I screw it in.

This is driving me crazy!! But I'm going to keep thinking on it. Thanks for the help guys
So what you described is how it should work. The washer with teeth is loose so when it tightens up it can stop turning while you still tighten the screw. If that is not staying put but sliding toward the hole when you tighten it you can drill a shallow hole that that washer would fit in and that would hold it in place.
MTN REMODEL LLC and de-nagorg like this.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
So what you described is how it should work. The washer with teeth is loose so when it tightens up it can stop turning while you still tighten the screw. If that is not staying put but sliding toward the hole when you tighten it you can drill a shallow hole that that washer would fit in and that would hold it in place.
You really are the man Neal. You've been helpful in more than one of my inquiries, very much appreciated.

SO yeah... it seems the issue is that the clip on the sink is set farther back from the point where washer with teeth makes contact to the butcher block, skewing the angle and making it tough to get good contact. So are you saying make something like a recessed forstner hole around the circumference of the washer-with-teeth so as to lodge it into the wood depth wise?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #15
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkearns10 View Post
You really are the man Neal. You've been helpful in more than one of my inquiries, very much appreciated.

SO yeah... it seems the issue is that the clip on the sink is set farther back from the point where washer with teeth makes contact to the butcher block, skewing the angle and making it tough to get good contact. So are you saying make something like a recessed forstner hole around the circumference of the washer-with-teeth so as to lodge it into the wood depth wise?
That is what I am saying, but it occurred to me if the longer piece was just bent back some would it act like a spring to push the clip over to the wood.

Just a thought but the holes would work.
Colbyt likes this.
Advertisement