Toilet Paper Holder Without Bar - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg

Old 11-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

toilet paper holder without bar

I have a strange question: my bathroom has a TP holder that is supposed to hold the paper without the bar. The 2 pieces secured to the wall have a circular bump that is supposed to hold the TP in place. Unfortunately, the standard width of toilet paper has changed since this was installed so the TP does not stay in place. There is a round plastic piece that bumps out on the arm pieces so it will not accept a standard TP holder bar. Any suggestions? I apologize in advance for not using the right words for the pieces...not sure what they are called officially called.
JBNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,478

Re: toilet paper holder without bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBNewbie View Post
I have a strange question: my bathroom has a TP holder that is supposed to hold the paper without the bar. The 2 pieces secured to the wall have a circular bump that is supposed to hold the TP in place. Unfortunately, the standard width of toilet paper has changed since this was installed so the TP does not stay in place. There is a round plastic piece that bumps out on the arm pieces so it will not accept a standard TP holder bar. Any suggestions? I apologize in advance for not using the right words for the pieces...not sure what they are called officially called.
post a photo.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,556

I remember those from 35+ years ago, What I would do is find an appropriate sized PVC pipe, and cut the right length, and use that as the rod from side to side, and attach that between the sides, and slip the paper roll over the PVC.

Might have to add something to each " bump" on the sides, to allow a small sized PVC to be installed, due to space requirements, but that is for you to figure out, I give you the idea, go with it, and adapt it to your needs.

ED
Dave Sal likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,004

Depending on the dimensions of the 'bumps' you could drill them out to accept a standard spring-loaded roller core which are available just about anywhere. If the holder is ceramic that might become tricky. You might need a right-angle drill attachment.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Quote:
post a photo.
Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
toilet paper holder without bar-e27ea1d7-236e-491f-bf8c-4c6507064e2e_1542600182767.jpg   toilet paper holder without bar-2f950acb-479a-446b-978e-cdeb3d5fadc2_1542600212552.jpg   toilet paper holder without bar-139cf742-2129-4ce2-b40f-60f494de850d_1542600236542.jpg  
JBNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Here are some photos.
I don't think they changed the size of paper, I would bet there is some adjustment at the screws that hold it to the wall. There should be a little screw in the bottom of the escutcheons. If you remove them one or both may have slotted screw holes where they screw to the wall.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,004

I've not seen one like that before. I have a hard time picturing how it would have worked in the first place because it looks like the cardboard core would have to be wider than the paper to fit in the plastic ring. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
I've not seen one like that before. I have a hard time picturing how it would have worked in the first place because it looks like the cardboard core would have to be wider than the paper to fit in the plastic ring. Maybe I'm missing something.
The plastic part is spring loaded to hold the side of the roll, My next suggestion will be a piece of PVC pipe that fits inside the roll.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #9
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,556

I suggested PVC before.

Those are pretty.

Give me a picture straight down from above, it looks like there might be a screw on the top by the post, in a slot.

This might be an adjustment point, Can't see well enough to say now.

If so, just loosen the screw, use an empty roll, adjust to fit, tighten screw, replace roll, use as needed.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 7,182

Buy a new holder.

I think that thing originally did have a bar in there (and you may be able to find/make a plastic bar to fit), but the design of that system just seems like a bad idea.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,259

Yeah, the recessed circular slot in the plastic bits looks designed for a tube to slot into it. Can't be that hard to find a plastic tube of the right diameter. Worst case, get some plastic sheeting and roll your own with some duct tape.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
toilet paper holder