Tling Shower - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tling shower

can you reuse backer board when tiling a shower? and how do you repair chips in a porcelain tub?
jeffkoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Hi,Jeff--The answer to reusing backer board is NO. I want the backer board to be as nearly perfect as possible. It's cheap enough--Could I ask you why you would want to?

For a chipped tub your best bet is to call a pro tub refinisher.

In my experience tub refinishing is a huge waste of money---I will not work on a job with a refinished tub--they damage to easily--and I don't want to be there when it happens.

New cast iron tubs are about $300--good drain set about $50--That's the best plan.

This is just one opinion--I would like to hear from any one that has gotten a good refinish job on a tub.

----Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

I see no reason cement backer board couldn't be reused under the right conditions. The thing is...if the original tile installed on the backer board was installed correctly the first time, there is no way you would be able to salvage the backer board. The backer board would be destroyed while removing the old tile. I can't think of many ways the backer board could be salvaged but if for some reason it has turned up slightly less than pristine, I suppose it could be reusable.

If all you want to do is to repair some chips, chips in porcelain tubs are easy enough to repair using one of the "chip repair kits" available. You will see the obvious repairs. If you can live with that, it's your best bet. To have the tub re-coated is a waste of money. I have seen this done by professionals many times and every time it has resulted in disaster not too far down the road. It just doesn't work that well.

Home centers now sell Do-It-Yourself repair kits for spraying the entire tub. That process is a total joke and a bigger waste of money than having it done by a pro. The only difference is you are wasting less money if you do it yourself.

Replacing the tub is much less expensive over the long haul.
Advertisement