TINY Master Bath Layout Remodel Ideas - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 02-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 182

TINY master bath layout remodel ideas

TL/DR: Make this 5'x5.5' bathroom feel like a 10'x10' bathroom! Don't move WC and lav drains nor roof vent. Shower drain and water supply can move. Expanding bathroom footprint is "not" an option. In the top view: "West" is another bathroom, "East" is the master bedroom, "South" is an exterior wall, "North" is the tiny (5'x5') master closet.

More reading:
Need to pick some brains here. Mini master bathroom, space is 5.5ft by 5ft, VERY small and cramped. Attached are some pics of the current layout. I have never used a 30"x30" shower (32" square stud framed space).

I have full access to the cast iron plumbing below. Although I want to completely replace the cast iron considering its age and design/layout, I am hesitant to do so.

Any ideas how to open this up?

Once I get some of my own ideas (or yours), I'll add models of that. Plumbing layout included. Salvaging the original plumbing layout would be ideal, but really anything can be moved except the roof vent location.

A few specific things that I would like to improve:
1) Lav appears to be S-trapped, unless further investigation (drywall removal) reveals a proper vent.
2) 32"x32" shower area. Don't see how this can change in the current layout.
3) Toilet is in a 25.5" wide (48" long to sink) nook. Not code and although I barely fit, it is minimal to say the least.
4) There is a ~17" "path clearance" between sink and shower wall to the toilet.
5) Drain plumbing seems less than ideal (although it works...), but lets postpone that until after a better layout is found. Unless it becomes critically relevant in the layout.

I am thinking the trick here is removing the shower wall (in green) and move the water supply to another wall. Perhaps moving the sink "back side" to the exterior, south wall, between the wall it was on, and the (purple colored) window (mirror cabinet between window and wall).
Attached Thumbnails
TINY master bath layout remodel ideas-mbath-top-view.jpg   TINY master bath layout remodel ideas-mbath-xray.jpg   TINY master bath layout remodel ideas-mbath-dimensions.jpg   TINY master bath layout remodel ideas-mbath-plumbing.jpg  

Last edited by gslenk; 02-09-2019 at 09:30 AM.
gslenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,094

Re: TINY master bath layout remodel ideas

Have you thought about bumping out the outside wall.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #3

It is already bumped out, and I really don't want to get that invasive
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #4

I believe this is part of the original construction of the house. Building materials, construction, etc. are all consistent with other clearly original portions of the house. Also looks like comparable homes in the area had listings with this size/layout master bathroom.

I think I have two options: 1) Remodel the as is, cramped but functional, layout and not worry about code compliance. 2) Alter layout and definitely worry about code compliance.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,268

If you are stuck with the room dimensions, then make sure its a standard toilet (not elong) and ditch the vanity for a pedestal or wall mount. Then scratch build the shower with a glass enclosure.

Even better openness would be the European and Asian model of open shower/all tile. They can just shower in the open, there's a center drain, and then can hose off the entire room when they want.
Yodaman likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #6

That's mostly what I am thinking, keep the changes minimal and simple. I am leaning towards a wall mount or pedestal sink, only concern is space for toothbrushes etc... but hopefully I can find a solution. And hopefully the medicine cabinet can be recess mounted a bit.

By scratch build the shower, are you saying tear down the dividing wall between it and the toilet, and use glass doors/enclosure?

I thought for a while about making the whole bathroom a "wet room". Not too sure I am truly sold on the idea. Seems too complicated/costly and too much that could go wrong. Also the chore of shower cleaning grout just turned into the whole bathroom, unless I am mistaken.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,944

Removing that wall is the best idea. Image corner shower base with a curtain. Toilet needs space but that is where you sit. Shower base that intrudes into that space doesn't matter. But the image is 36x36 and that may be too wide. See if you can find 30x36 or so. Also I think square base would work best. Round or cut-off corner always felt too small to me. May have to replumb for drain and may have no choice but cut off corner. Lay it out and see what works for you. Lay out with blue tape and see how the space and access works. Sit on the toilet and see if anything interferes with feet, example.

I made one bath as such but I made my own curtain rod with 1/2 copper pipe and using threaded adapters and wide flanges for firm hold without using a middle rod hanger or such. I made the radius of the rod bit larger than the base so the curtain doesn't intrude into the shower space. Also used extra width and length curtain. Always a good idea but if you're hanging a curtain rod without a middle hanger you need to install screw blocks. Wall anchors will not do it.
Attached Thumbnails
TINY master bath layout remodel ideas-1.jpg  
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslenk View Post
By scratch build the shower, are you saying tear down the dividing wall between it and the toilet, and use glass doors/enclosure?

I thought for a while about making the whole bathroom a "wet room". Not too sure I am truly sold on the idea. Seems too complicated/costly and too much that could go wrong. Also the chore of shower cleaning grout just turned into the whole bathroom, unless I am mistaken.
Yes, glass everywhere, low threshold and use horizontal oriented tile continued across the back of the toilet for the illusion of space.

I wouldn't promote the open shower especially with a window. I felt weird in those, like I was in a public pool house and needed some flip flops. The German ones are self-cleaning though.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Removing that wall is the best idea. Image corner shower base with a curtain.
My concern is the curtain on a corner shower. Did you have any problems with water escaping the shower and getting on the floor?

Since the floor is so small, when I redo the tile, I plan on semi waterproofing the floor anyway with ditra/similar under the tile, sealed to the shower base.

Curtained shower does allow for more sink room, without having to contort as much around the bathroom.

Shower drain can move to practically anywhere in the bathroom.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
Even better openness would be the European and Asian model of open shower/all tile. They can just shower in the open, there's a center drain, and then can hose off the entire room when they want.
Interesting idea
195795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #11

I was thinking corner toilet... But I don't think that is gonna work. Outer arc is 36" radius, inner arc is 32" radius. I don't think any shower larger than existing would work with this layout. Even with a curtain, the curb might as well be one of those foot rest benches designed to simulate squatting for stool production.

Also the more I think about a wetroom, the more it reminds me of a gym shower/locker area. I guess it isn't commonplace in the US enough to feel normal.
Attached Thumbnails
TINY master bath layout remodel ideas-corner-wc.jpg  

Last edited by gslenk; 02-09-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
retired framer

Old 02-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #13

Oh, the difference one more foot on each side would make! At least my bathroom door swings out, into the bedroom...
Nealtw likes this.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #14
retired framer

Move door and open out, shower instead of tub with three piece glass. door in center.
Yodaman likes this.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #15

That layout leaves about 13.5" for a sink, assuming I use a 24" door, and move it. A wall mount toilet might make this feasible, but I don't know enough about them.

I am starting to lean towards "leave the layout alone", and find a way to make the sink area more compact.

Two more complications... Window would be half in and half out of the full size shower. Also that little box on the left wall is the air supply register. From my last recollection, it would be really difficult or impossible to move it over to an adjacent joist bay.
Attached Thumbnails
TINY master bath layout remodel ideas-sink-room..jpg  

Last edited by gslenk; 02-09-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement