Tiny Bathroom--design Help - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Tiny Bathroom--design help

I couldn't find a bathroom forum, so I figured this would be the best place.

I've got a tiny half-bath and wonder if anyone has/had a similar size and had good luck redoing it.

I keep trying to think where I can come up with extra room in order to make it a full bath, but its not going to work out short of taking room from the bedroom or expanding outside the footprint of the house.

The bathroom is 66 1/2" x 51 1/2". Currently its basically a "pass through" bathroom with doors along both short walls going into the master bed and the kitchen. On the other side of the door that goes into the kitchen is the back door and the stairs leading to the basment.

The vanity and toilet are along the inside long wall and the opposing wall is an exterior wall with a small window. All of the plumbing is exposed in the basement so moving anything is not an issue.

After I draw this up I will upload it so its easier to see.

Thanks in advance

Graham
gjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Can you post a drawing and pictures of said bath. The bath forum is actually in the remodeling forum. You can use google sketch-up for the drawing. In one of the This old house magazine issues, the did an article on small baths. As for the residence, do you own or rent?

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #3

Remodeling...makes sense haha. I have a wedding to go to so I will try to get it drawn up before I leave. I own the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

http://www.diychatroom.com/f80/
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Saw this article today and thought it might be a good starting point, http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/08...me-design.html
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I moved it and added to the title so the architects won't think this is a plumbing thread---Mike---
gregzoll (09-18-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

What's on the other side of the wall with the toilet? You have the master bedroom on one side w/ door - kitchen on the other w/door. Is there a room behind the wall w/toilet? What is it - a hallway, livingroom, diningroom?

Is there a 2nd bathroom? Obviously there is since this is a 1/2 bath.

Ok - personally: *if* (and only if) you have a hallway/livingroom/office/diningroom on the other side of the wall with the toilet - this is what I'd do:

Get rid of these two access doors. Instead - relocate the door to the wall with the toilet/sink - off to one side of the room in the corner - a pocket door will nix the need for door-swing room inside the bathroom.

1) Sink would go opposite this new door - on the window wall - in the corner. Pedestals take up minimal room. They have some designed for corners - this would be ideal.
2) Toilet will go on the far wall in the corner - on the wall where a door use to be.
3) Shower stall can go in the corner - also on the wall where a door use to be, snugged up next to the toilet - on a 4 1/4' room there should be room for a 30" stall and a toilet.

No need to expand the room merely to gain a few inches - just don't use a tub.

Last edited by Snav; 09-19-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #8

The adjacent wall is the full bath. I had plans of closing off the door to the kitchen and putting a pocket door into the bedroom. This being the case, what would you do now? Thank you
Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #9

Really need a floor plan. Can you do one up in Google Sketch-up of that floor? That way, we all have something to better visualize and give better input.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #10

I will draw it up and scan it tomorrow. I tried to draw the bathroom up on Google Sketch and it took me too long. I am not that good with it yet so my ruler and graph paper will have to do until I get better with it.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #11

That will work also. I use Punch for doing this stuff. You of course have to fudge the dimensions with it, especially with older homes.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #12

What is Punch? Is there a simple snap-to-grid program that will do a 2D drawing instead of the 3d like Sketch?
Old 09-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #13

A CAD program for drawing out floor plans, etc. http://punchsoftware.com/ It is actually worth the money, and has come a long way from the version we got back in 2003. Depending on what you are planning, it is actually a very good investment. Even if you use it every now and then, it is easier to use, than sketch-up.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (09-22-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 340

sketch is impossible for me to comprehend. i can draw a floor plan faster on graph paper
why do they make it so complicated?
all I want is a 16' x 30' rectangle
kt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjones View Post
The adjacent wall is the full bath. I had plans of closing off the door to the kitchen and putting a pocket door into the bedroom. This being the case, what would you do now? Thank you
The adjacent wall is a full bath - which room does this service? Is this the main bathroom that everyone uses or is it a private-bath only accessible from a bedroom or such?

Shoot - think bigger and better!

I'd tear it all out - take out this adjacent wall and create a large area to work with. Design a floor plan that permits two separate 1/2 baths (sink, toilet) - and in the center I'd put a bathing-room that would contain a tub/vanity and this would connect these two bathrooms.

Of course - that depends on the shape and size of your full adjacent bathroom.

Also - just use paint. To give us an idea of what you're dealing with just sketch out your bathroom's floorplan with some basic shapes - text-onto this sketchy diagram the dimensions . . . and label what the adjoining rooms are.

keep it simple

Last edited by Snav; 09-22-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement