Timeline For Bathroom Remodel - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 01-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 46

Timeline for Bathroom Remodel

My wife is 7 months pregnant and I wanted to get a bathroom remodel done before the baby comes. We already have a 3 year old so I figured it would be better to remodel the kids bathroom before #2 comes along. The plan was to start earlier but life got in the way...and here we are.

My plan is to take 3 weeks off work for a total of 23 working days to get it done. For you DIYers that have done this before, is timeline way too aggressive?

My other option is to wait 1 year or more for the the kids to be 4 and 1 and do the remodel then. I figured it would be easier to do it now with 1 kid instead of 2. This is a second bathroom so we can all use the master bath during the remodel.

I know there are too many variables to definitively say for sure but I figured I could at least get a reality check.

Scope:
go down to studs, new tub, tile shower walls, tile floor with new subfloor, current tile is on plywood, new vanity, new lighting

My skills:
I have done everything involved before except installing a new tub. I have all the tools required except a wet tile saw which I will buy

My help: my dad and brother in law can come help out, they have helped me in other projects but are not skilled enough to do things on their own

jmvar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,756

Re: Timeline for Bathroom Remodel

Your pics aren't showing up. Your timeline is doable. I did my bathroom about 3 years ago. Gutted it in a day. Drywall and finish took about 3 days. Plumbing and electrical took another 3 or 4 days. I tiled the floor and that took some time as I had to level it all, install the cement board, install the tile, grout.....anyway, by myself and not working on it real steady, it took close to 3 weeks. With help, you can cut that time down as it sure helps to have extra hands installing the bath/tub enclosure, the toilet, the vanity, etc.
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Your pics aren't showing up. Your timeline is doable. I did my bathroom about 3 years ago. Gutted it in a day. Drywall and finish took about 3 days. Plumbing and electrical took another 3 or 4 days. I tiled the floor and that took some time as I had to level it all, install the cement board, install the tile, grout.....anyway, by myself and not working on it real steady, it took close to 3 weeks. With help, you can cut that time down as it sure helps to have extra hands installing the bath/tub enclosure, the toilet, the vanity, etc.
I think the forum is resizing the pics and maybe that is why they are not showing up.

Did you work on it day to day consistently for 3 weeks or was it more when you got some time?

Thanks for your input.
jmvar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,756

It was day-to-day. Some days, 3 or 4 hours, weekends 8-10 hours. I guess what throws off your timeline are the little surprises that hit you such as a floor out of level, re-doing plumbing that you hadn't planned on, walls needing shimmed because they are not plumb and level, and, for me, I had to make my own vanity because I couldn't find a style I liked in the size I needed. If you don't get too many of those "surprises" and you have some skills, you can move along pretty fast.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

& pray that baby doesn't arrive early...we've been blessed with 2 preemie granddaughters; evidently they were both too impatient to wait till due dates... now that I've mentioned it... thinking positive thoughts...

Peace
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:17 AM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,612

I"m not a DIY'er, but you are up against too many variables (impatient babies for one) to make a solid timeline work. Too many "what ifs". If the bathroom(s) are usable, then I would wait until the dust settles a little so you won't have too many life happenings at one time. Your time line otherwise is doable.
CrazyGuy likes this.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,018

And don't forget to allow for any permit inspections. Some building departments are not that quick and, depending on the inspection, other work may be held up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement