Tiling The Shower Floor - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tiling the shower floor

I want to install a new shower, kind of a long rectangle and tile the floor of it using MS International Honey Onyx Flat Pebbles 16 In. x 16 In. Onyx Floor & Wall Tile. So the plumber roughs in the drain and I use rags to protect it from the mastic, and then I have to install exterior plywood on top of the floor joists at a grade? The shower will be roughly 6 feet long with a 12 inch tiled in bench/seat at the far end. I want the drain to be off centered so where should it go and how much of a grade do I need to install the plywood at before I tile it? And what would you recommend as a primer for the plywood under the mastic to make sure there is no water damage over time. I a quite worried about that, but have found no instructions on how to do this project anywhere! Help!
deatra1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

A little more information needed---

how is the pan going to be made?
What are you using to waterproof the walls and seat?

Tile and grout are not waterproof---the shower has to be waterproofed before the tile goes in.

what sort of drain did the plumber install?

How big are the tiles for the floor pan?
MTN REMODEL LLC (04-25-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 04:54 AM   #3

That's just it, I have to "make" a shower pan. I have not been able to find a large rectangular shower pan that looks like you can lay tile on top of it. I plan on creating the slope or pan as well as the seat using construction plywood (not particle board) waterproof it with some sort of whatever, install concrete backerboard on top of the treated plywood and lay a mosaic mesh backed tile on the floor (MS International Honey Onyx Flat Pebbles 16 In. x 16 In. Onyx Floor & Wall Tile). The wall and seat will be a larger tile that I have not yet chosen, probably a porcelain. As for the drain, I have no idea what kind of drain to tell him to install it has not yet been finished. The work will be done in San Antonio Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #4

ok, you can tell I'm a newbie. I did some more reading and as I read it the process goes: Put down the plywood (how thick does this have to be?). Treat the plywood (what product do you recommend?). Create the slope with the mud (possibly using a goof proof system for proper idiot proof slope - what do you think about those?) making sure the special shower drain is well stuck in the mud. Put in the shower pan liner and bolt it/glue it down. Lay out the tile dry to make sure the cuts around the drain are correct. Use fat mud to put the tile on top of the liner. Seal the tile as needed and then grout. Did I get all the steps?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

This is one method-----

If you want a simpler but more expensive method---Google--Schluter shower pans
Old 04-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

+1 on the Schluter presloped base and Shluter's Kerdi drain system. Use it with thier Kerdi membrane and it's almost fool proof.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #7

You probably won't be able to use tiles that big unless your doing a linear drain system. With a linear drain your pan slopes in one direction. With a regular drain your pan is like a cone. Big tiles will crack
PropertyManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropertyManager View Post
You probably won't be able to use tiles that big unless your doing a linear drain system. With a linear drain your pan slopes in one direction. With a regular drain your pan is like a cone. Big tiles will crack
Or you will have to design/cut your tiles in such a manner that you have 4 triangles that slope to the drain..... sort of an upside down/inverted hip roof.
Advertisement

Tags
tiling shower floor