Tiling Pre-existing Cement Shower Floor Pan? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Tiling pre-existing cement shower floor pan?

My elderly aunt has a shower in her cement slab basement with a cement shower pan. She uses this shower regularly b/c of easy access (only a tub upstairs). She (or rather my deceased uncle) has painted the shower pan several times over 40 years and, as expected, the paint has failed and the mold has taken hold under the loose paint. Iíve gone in and scrapped up loose chips and scraped the heck out of any remaining paint till I couldnít get anything more up, then scrubbed it all with a bleach solution. What I would like to do is put in a more permanent solution and was thinking of tiling the shower floor. The floor already has a good slope that seems to drain adequately, though there are worn pitted concrete areas Iíd level out. My thought was to use a liquid membrane like Redguard (Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Bu...WAF1/100169081 over the concrete then set the tile on top of that. I would need to raise the drain. Thoughts on this any other solution that a moderately handy person could do? Cost is a factor for her so I am trying to do this myself and I have done a fair bit of tiling and plumbing work before. A custom pan or removing the cement pan are not an option. Iíve uploaded a couple of pictures of the tile pan (fyiÖ Iíve laid linoleum on the floor since the pics).

Thanks for any help and ideas!

My elderly aunt has a shower in her cement slab basement with a cement shower pan. She uses this shower regularly b/c of easy access (only a tub upstairs). She (or rather my deceased uncle) has painted the shower pan several times over 40 years and, as expected, the paint has failed and the mold has taken hold under the loose paint. Iíve gone in and scrapped up loose chips and scraped the heck out of any remaining paint till I couldnít get anything more up, then scrubbed it all with a bleach solution. Iíve uploaded a couple of pictures of the tile pan (fyiÖ Iíve laid linoleum on the floor since the pics). What you see are the remnants of the original pink paint, which was then covered with the blue. The paint on the outside part of the curb is actually quite intact and has a strong adherence. I'm presuming the original pink paint was oil base (just a guess) and the blue paint was water based enamel (per paint can in garage).

What I would like to do is put in a more permanent solution and was thinking of a couple tile ideas. One option would be to tile the shower floor and up the inside of the curb to the inside edge of the pink shower wall sitting on top of the curb. The other option would be to remove the pink walls and shower door and install a surrounding shower curtain in lieu of it, then tile up and over the shower curb.
The basin already has a good slope that seems to drain adequately, though there are worn pitted concrete areas Iíd level out. My thought was to use a liquid membrane like Redguard (Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Bu...WAF1/100169081 over the concrete then set the tile on top of that. I would need to raise the drain (which I could use advice on).
Thoughts on this any other solution that a moderately handy person could do? Cost is a factor for her so I am trying to do this myself and I have done a fair bit of tiling and plumbing work before. A custom pan or removing the cement pan are not an option. Of course, I could just paint it againÖ.

Thanks for any help and ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Tiling pre-existing cement shower floor pan?-img_5610.jpg   Tiling pre-existing cement shower floor pan?-img_5609.jpg  
KerryOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 05:24 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That old pan has held up well---however, I doubt if anything will bond to the concrete now--after years of use, the concrete has soaked up a lot of soap and oils---

It will be very unlikely to last ---sorry.
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Thanks Mike for your reply. Any suggestions for a solution?
KerryOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 05:38 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Perhaps a diamond cup wheel on a grinder---then paint om some Hydroban---then the tile--

I really do not think even that will a 'for sure' solution---concrete is porous--and after all those years of use--the soaps have soaked in deeply.
Advertisement

Tags
shower tile