Tiling Newly Primed Drywall - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

Tiling newly primed drywall

Hi.

I will be tiling a backsplash soon, but I need to replace some of the sheetrock first.

Does it matter what primer I use as I have several partial cans available. Zinsser's BIN and their Bullseye 123.

Also, How long after priming will I be able to tile. I plan on using mastic with ceramic tile.

Thanks.
Jtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #2

To clarify my above post, basically, I am hoping I can prime on Friday, and then tile on Saturday. I have read in some other posts about letting the primer "cure", so I am not sure if I should tile that soon after I make the repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 392

Is priming required for mastic? I know it's not for thinset.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

You may have read a comment I made about letting the primer cure. I wouldn't prime it.

I would skim-coat with the mastic, then spread the normal amount. Are the joints taped and mudded with compound? Which mastic will you be using? And the tiles are soft bisque ceramic or porcelain, or?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

I have never tiled before, so when I think of putting up drywall, I just assumed I would prime it before moving on.

Jaz, after researching a little more, I learned that the adhesive I will be using (Acrylpro ceramic tile adhesive) is okay for drywall, with no mention of priming. I am going to use a non-vitreous, glazed ceramic wall tile from HD, and I do not plan on taping as it is a small area, and I will cut the replacement piece to fit fairly snug, possibly adding some sistering for support.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Old 11-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Jeff,

You need to tape all joints. Go ahead and use the mastic when taping then just skim the rest of the tile area.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #7

Sounds good. I will do that.

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement