Tiling Exterior Cement Block Walls In A Shower - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

Tiling exterior cement block walls in a shower

Hi! I am in the process of finishing a basement bathroom, and there is a corner shower on exterior concrete block walls. Currently the walls are painted. After some research, it looks like I can mechanically remove most of the paint and apply a modified thinset onto it. I was curious if I could then apply a coat of RedGard and tile directly over the top of that?

I am trying to avoid building up the walls any more than is absolutely necessary as the stall is very small as is. Thanks for your advice!
gtzpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

I would check with Laticrete or Mapei or Red Guard and see how clean the walls need to be. I would waterproof right over the concrete block and tile over that.

I have heard some people say that it is impossible to tile over the irregularities of a concrete block wall but people have been doing it for years and there is no reason for irregularities, especially if the joints are cut and not struck.

It seemed to work well at our local YMCA.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
gtzpower (01-11-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 28

Hi cleveman,

Thank you very much for the reply. I really appreciate your help, and I am happy to hear that I'm not just asking for trouble with what I want to do. I will check with the manufacturer on surface prep.
gtzpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement