Tiling Around Or Under Cabinets??? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 AM  
DIY Expert in Training!

Rewards Points: 250

Tiling around or under cabinets???

Hey guys,

I am prepping to completely renovate my kitchen/dinning room. Right now it appears that we have linoleum flooring over thin plywood over subfloor all on wood joists. Looks like the thin plywood could be about 1/4". We intend to put down tile over cement board

Couple of questions if you could help:
1) I am going to assume I need to pull up the two layers and put down plywood for strength. Correct?
2) Tile in open area and under dishwasher, fridge, and oven but not under cabinets?
3) Should I put extra plywood under the cabinets to raise them up to the level of the tiles so the appliances will fit correctly?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 AM  
Insert catchy title here

Rewards Points: 75

I'm in a similar situation to yours. We tiled up to the cabinets a year ago and under stove. We ordered new cabinets and are wondering about this.

I look forward to some replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 11:17 AM  
Love for Construction

Personally, I think it depends on how much the tile you are putting down costs. Is it expensive travertine, or cheaper builder grade tile.

If it is expensive tile I would install the cabinets first and then install the tile around the cabinets. If it's cheaper tile it will be less cuts and less of your time in the long run to install the tile in the whole room and then place the cabinets on top.

So, what it comes down to is how much is your time or the tile contractor's time worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 04:18 PM  

Rewards Points: 2,452

It seems like this question comes up every 6 months or so.
Do yourself a favor and sheet the whole floor with tile once you tear out the old cabinets. Most of the tile I see going into kitchens is under 10.00/sq.ft. The little extra it takes to go under the cabinets is negligable. It is easier to tile without the cabinets there, easier to set the cabinets once the tile is down, and all in all, makes for a nicer job.
Mike Hawkins
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
AppleMac*Fit (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 PM  
Insert catchy title here

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks Mike!

The tile we used was the 16" square tile at Lowes for $0.67/ft^2. So cost isn't a big deal, just time. Good enough for me. I'll mortar, then grout about 12 hours later. Barely remove the haze (since they're under the cabinets) and call it a day.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:50 PM  
DIY Expert in Training!

My concern with putting cabinets over the tile is keeping the cabinets level...am I worrying too much?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 PM  

In the kitchens I do. I set the cabinets first. Makes it easier to shim and I don't have to worry about breaking any tiles should a cabinet or hammer drop on the floor. With the cabinets in, then I can decide where to start and stop my pattern of tiles. If the homeowner later decides he/she is tired of looking at that floor, the next installer isn't cussing me up one side and down the other. If done right the appliances should fit just fine. If adding plywood for strenth, it should be done prior to installing cabinets. Some of the time I will not tile under the stove. However this depends on the stove I am installing. You should know what appliances you are installing prior to any work being done, so you should have the specs.
Gone Fishing, is hard to say what you should to for strength without knowing more info. Joist size, spacing, lengths, sub floor. Deflextion plays a part in a good tile job that won't crack.
Tiling before or after is a personal preference, I am sure the Mike's kitchens turn out just fine. It's just not the way I do it.
I would not grout my tile 12 hours later however. Thinset under a 16" tile is going to take more time to dry than a 12" tile. Doing so will cause nothing but problems down the line. Walking on tiles before the thinset is not dry could cause the thin "film" to break resulting in loose tiles. Another problem grouting to early, it often causes efflorence making your darker grout lines appear to lighter in spots. Which of course causes another thread asking the question "Why are my grout lines appear to be lighter in spots?. Often the cause is moisture trying to escape from the thinset that hasn't had the time to dry. (there are other reasons)

Last edited by Mop in Hand; 03-04-2010 at 11:54 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mop in Hand For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (03-05-2010), gone_fishing (03-05-2010)
Old 03-21-2010, 05:17 PM  
Ivy

Rewards Points: 25

In the process of remodeling my kitchen right now.... And after reading this forum and others on this issue, I decided to tile the whole kitchen first.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiling around or under cabinets???-100_0194.jpg  
Old 03-21-2010, 05:21 PM  
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Tile first--under the cabinets,too. Fastest,safest--best.--Mike--
Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 PM  

Rewards Points: 2,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
In the process of remodeling my kitchen right now.... And after reading this forum and others on this issue, I decided to tile the whole kitchen first.
Ivy,
Just curious, why don't the two small rows of tile line up with the rest?
Mike Hawkins
Old 03-21-2010, 07:46 PM  
Ivy

Base cabinets will be totally covering that area for storage. So it really didn't matter to me how I layed the tile in that area. Also, that area used to be counter height seating which I never used. This is a townhouse and as you can well see... this is a teeny tiny kitchen, but it works for me.

Last edited by Ivy; 03-21-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 PM  
Ivy

Mike... here is a pic of that area that will be covered. Positioned the base cabinets to be secured today.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiling around or under cabinets???-100_0196.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement