Tile Redi ... Trying, Help With Drain And Mortar - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Tile Redi ... trying, help with drain and mortar

Hi, I'm new. I bought a Tile Redi shower pan based on the recommendation of someone that I'm not sure has ever read all the bad reviews. Anyway, now that I can't return it I get to try and install it. Two questions:

1) I do not have access under the shower. The drain pipe coming up from the P trap is in the right spot and ready. Does it need to be cemented to the drain in the bottom of the shower pan? Or is silicon good enough? It would be much easier if not because I'd have enough time to set the pan in the mortar. Since the instructions say either abs or pvc can be attached using the appropriate cement I wonder how great of a seal there will be. Adding the silicon afterwards would be much easier.

2) The instructions on how to make the mortar bed before installing the pan are ridiculous. There is no way I'll be able to push all that mortar out of the way. Here's my idea and am wondering if anyone has experience with this. I was looking at Tec's 3N1 performance mortar. It's easier to push around and will hold it's shape. I'm assuming if I can get it roughly into the right place it will be easier to set the pan. Does the pan need to be completely filled? Should it go down to the sub floor or sit up on some mortar? Can I put the mortar on OSB? If not, can I use a sealer on it or do I have to use backerboard?

The floor is flat and level.

Thanks. In case you're wondering, no, I can't find anyone that will install it.
MattCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
Home Repairer

Rewards Points: 468

Re: Tile Redi ... trying, help with drain and mortar

Would never trust just silicone for a shower drain seal. It should be primed and cemented to the pan body for a leak proof seal. Never worked with tile redi, do they have the option of a compression drain? I think that that is the easiest way to go for both a novice and a pro where access below is limited. You set up your drain pipe so that it comes partially up the drain body. A donut gasket is inserted and a retaining ring is tighten down on the donut ring that compresses and forms a water tight seal.
czizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,460

Re: Tile Redi ... trying, help with drain and mortar

Search for the old tile ready thread. I'm surprised they're still in business. If you want half a chance of that system working, follow their instructions to a T. I used one once and it worked. I didn't have access to the drain from directly underneath. But I cut out a section of subflooring adjacent to the shower base. We set up the proper height for the drain to connect but didn't glue the pieces in place yet. I mixed up mortar and set the base like they show in their videos. Afterwards we connected the drain and glued the pieces in place. They should have given you some epoxy for setting the tiles to the base. It works, but again, read the directions.
If I remember right, a tradional shower base like czizzi described won't work with a tile ready base.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement