Tile Redi Pan Waterproofing Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 38

Tile Redi pan waterproofing question

Hello all!

I'm in a situation where I have to finish shower myself. Contractor leaves country and didn't have enough time to finish thanks to stone company.. (Had to wait for countertops and shelfs/steps for the shower)

Anyway. My first question is about water-proofing tile pan. I watched their instructions and it calls setting board on a bead of silicone caulk. They also provide special flashing but can't do that now. So, my idea is to widen the seam between pan and wallboards (which tool to you suggest?) and caulk it.

Second question is how do I go about waterproofing screws? Just dab of caulk over each screw?

Third question is how do I set wall tile? Problem is those 4 inches on tile redi pan. From what I understand only their epoxy works, but I have big tile and it have to be glued to both tile redi and wall.

Thanks a lot and I will be back with more questions on tile
Attached Thumbnails
Tile Redi pan waterproofing question-img_2293.jpg   Tile Redi pan waterproofing question-img_2294.jpg  
katit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018, 05:21 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,218

Re: Tile Redi pan waterproofing question

It looks as if the walls have RedGard on them. What are the walls comprised of? Hardiebacker, Durock, Green board, sheetrock? How thick is the wall board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #3

I think it’s Durock. Cement board from Homedepot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Naildriver

You'll probably have to use their proprietary epoxy for applying the tile to the base, and adjust the thickness of your thinset at the joint to compensate for any deviations in the two surfaces as you apply the tile. How much setback is the wall from the base lip?
Old 08-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
You'll probably have to use their proprietary epoxy for applying the tile to the base, and adjust the thickness of your thinset at the joint to compensate for any deviations in the two surfaces as you apply the tile. How much setback is the wall from the base lip?

Problem is - there is no setback. Epoxy goes in thin with 1/8 trowel.

I called TileRedi and they said since I use 24x24 tile they say it's OK with Thinset there because most of the surface will be glued to Durock...

I'm kind of hesitant, but can't see how else this can be done.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by katit View Post
Problem is - there is no setback. Epoxy goes in thin with 1/8 trowel.

I called TileRedi and they said since I use 24x24 tile they say it's OK with Thinset there because most of the surface will be glued to Durock...

I'm kind of hesitant, but can't see how else this can be done.

I know nothing about this product, but I see one guy put a flashing over the pan before the cement board whet up.

I am not sure I understand the problem, are you worried about thin set sticking? The other video would have me worried too.

Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #7
Naildriver

Since more than half of your tile will be adhered to the cbu above the pan, likewise, I would think it to be fine to set the tile using thinset even on the base. You have to space it with something, and it will stick above for sure.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 462

Don't know much about the tile ready myself but from what I've read there are lots of ways to do it wrong. This video seems pretty informative. I guess it can be installed with or without the flashing that's designed for it. For my money, I would want to use the flashing.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement