Tile Or Drywall This Wall? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 102

Tile or drywall this wall?

Would you tile or drywall this wall and why? Tiles in the shower will be 12x24 laid horizontally, staggered 1/2 or 1/3. Wall will be roughly 6" wide.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile or drywall this wall?-20170116_190411.jpg  
MetalMan8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 50

Re: Tile or drywall this wall?

That should have been decided before the framing was completed. Not sure how you are gonna treat that at the bottom near the tub. Wall probably should have been out a couple inches past the tub.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
That should have been decided before the framing was completed. Not sure how you are gonna treat that at the bottom near the tub. Wall probably should have been out a couple inches past the tub.
The old wall didn't have to come out past the tub any more than this though so I don't see why this one has to. Not disagreeing with you, I just don't understand what the purpose is of building the wall out further.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile or drywall this wall?-dsc08355.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,452

[QUOTE=MetalMan8008;3889065]The old wall didn't have to come out past the tub any more than this though so I don't see why this one has to. Not disagreeing with you, I just don't understand what the purpose is of building the wall out further.[/QUOTE
Your new tub must be slightly wider. See the difference in the old pic? The tile returned back into the tub, about an 1 1/4" or so. That little bit gives you a way to cleanly finish off the tile. Right now your stud is pretty close to flush, not a good way to finish whether you tile the face of the stud or not. I would add a stud or two and replace that piece of cement board with a wider piece. The added benefit of this is having a waterproof surface for the water that invariably finds its way out of the tub.
Mike Hawkins

Last edited by firehawkmph; 01-16-2017 at 07:02 PM.
firehawkmph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

But, they put tile on the end of the wall. If you don't put tile there, you finish edge will not be out as far as theirs resulting in a very tiny pieec of tile at the bottom next to the tub.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #6

I guess I was just thinking I could get away with not doing that tiny strip of tile next to the tub. Is it really necessary? Is there some sort of trim piece (I was thinking some sort of shoe molding meant for this purpose) that could be used here instead or would that just not look right(or doesn't exist)?
Attached Thumbnails
Tile or drywall this wall?-20170116_201318.jpg  
Old 01-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

I would recommend the same as the others said, tack on another 2x and give yourself a bit more than a sliver on that short piece and of course tile the other wall. I would tile every wall in the bathroom.
ChuckF. likes this.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

WHAT? Shoe molding right there? If you do that everyone will know you did it yourself. Don't do that!

I brought up this situation several days ago. You should think about it some more.

Jaz
firehawkmph likes this.

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
sixeightten (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
WHAT? Shoe molding right there? If you do that everyone will know you did it yourself. Don't do that!

I brought up this situation several days ago. You should think about it some more.

Jaz
Come on, I didn't literally mean a piece of wooden shoe molding. I'm taking about a piece of trim (rubber, plastic, etc) that is specifically designed for this, that might happen to be SHAPED like shoe molding. Maybe concave, though. And I was asking if that exists as an option. I guess no such thing exists, that's all you have to say.

Admittedly, yes, I skipped over the wall a few days ago because I didn't realize it had to be addressed before moving forward. I started piecing the hardie board up against the wall and it looked like I could get away without doing that little strip so I just moved on. I'm really surprised the ONLY way to build a wall around the tub is to leave that little strip.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #10

I found this:

https://www.architecturaldepot.com/3...f5djqtopedhcra

I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work, and I think it would look fine there. Caulked in place, seems like it would be easy to achieve a watertight seal.

But's that's my opinion, what do you guys think? I'm selling the house in a year or two, so I don't want something that's going to stick out like a sore thumb. I'm pretty confident the average home buyer is not going to say "wow, where's that narrow strip of tile next to the tub"?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan8008 View Post
I found this:

https://www.architecturaldepot.com/3...f5djqtopedhcra

I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work, and I think it would look fine there. Caulked in place, seems like it would be easy to achieve a watertight seal.

But's that's my opinion, what do you guys think? I'm selling the house in a year or two, so I don't want something that's going to stick out like a sore thumb. I'm pretty confident the average home buyer is not going to say "wow, where's that narrow strip of tile next to the tub"?
We've already told you the right way to do it. You remind me of a fireman I worked with. He would come in, ask a technical question, then he'd go around and ask each person individually til he got the answer he wanted to hear, which was never the right one. I don't do things half ass, so I'm not going to tell you that trim piece is going to look ok, because it won't. I get asked quite a bit by friends and relatives to go look at a house they are considering buying. Things like this do stick out like a sore thumb and only makes me look harder to see what else they chinced on.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
We've already told you the right way to do it.
If it is truly the ONLY way to build a shower then I will accept that. But don't knock me for trying to explore all my options, I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. Just because I didn't accept that your way is the ONLY way right away without questioning it doesn't mean I won't do just what you said if that's my best option. The internet is full of people adamant about doing things a certain way, but in my experience, there's almost always another acceptable alternative if you are creative and resourceful.

Still looking for an answer to my original question... tile or drywall on the 6 inch wall?

Last edited by MetalMan8008; 01-19-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Okie dokie....... I already unsubscribed from this thread, which may be the first time I've done that? Anyway, I don't recall unsubscribing before. I'm guessing Mike is leaning that way.

That piece of wood/plastic inside corner cove molding will look just fine in YOUR house. Actually, you being a "metalman" why not try some metal flashing right there? You're right that there's more than one way to do things. As long as you're the only one to see it and judge it, it'll be fine.

Jaz
firehawkmph likes this.

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Okie dokie....... I already unsubscribed from this thread, which may be the first time I've done that? Anyway, I don't recall unsubscribing before. I'm guessing Mike is leaning that way.

That piece of wood/plastic inside corner cove molding will look just fine in YOUR house. Actually, you being a "metalman" why not try some metal flashing right there? You're right that there's more than one way to do things. As long as you're the only one to see it and judge it, it'll be fine.

Jaz
Wow. I thought a forum like this would be a safe place to ask questions, but apparently that's looked down upon here. Sorry for asking questions. Take care guys. Jaz, enjoy the view from your pedestal.

Last edited by MetalMan8008; 01-19-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #15
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan8008 View Post
Wow. I thought a forum like this would be a safe place to ask questions, but apparently that's looked down upon here. Sorry for asking questions. Take care guys. Jaz, enjoy the view from your pedestal.
It's not that way at all. You have gotten the same professional opinion from at least 3 great pro's here. Whether you choose to follow it is up to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement