Are These Cracks In A Sink Acceptable? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2015, 12:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 866

Are these cracks in a sink acceptable?

I bought a fireclay sink, similar to a farm house sink, for $1,000 and two days after it was installed, I noticed these cracks on its bottom. Anyone want to bet that my contractor says they are merely cosmetic and not a problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Are these cracks in a sink acceptable?-20150918_105910.jpg   Are these cracks in a sink acceptable?-20150926_192334.jpg  
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 03:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

The only question is, was the bottom of the sink inspected before the contractor touched it? As for is it right. I would say no. Send the pictures to the manufacture and see if they have someone to come look at it, or will send you a replacement if that is just a fault from the shipping process after manufactured.

As for being a Farm house sink. It would have a front apron, that allows it to slide into the counter and the counter-top would cover the lip of the sink.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Klawman (09-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 03:29 AM   #3

It was inspected before the contractor got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawman View Post
It was inspected before the contractor got it.
But did it show any signs on the bottom of those cracks? How was it supported when it was installed? Those are going to be the two biggest questions from the person or company that made that sink.

You need to get the info to the mfg or person, then asking on here. No sense keeping that sink, if the mfg will cover that damage, even if they will if it happened during install.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Klawman (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That is a flaw in the firing---do not accept that--the manufacturer will take that back.
gregzoll (09-27-2015), Klawman (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 176

Even if the cracks are cosmetic, you just bought the thing. That's the problem.

If I was buying a new car and noticed it had scratches on it that were just cosmetic, I'd be asking for one without the scratches.
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
Klawman (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
That is a flaw in the firing---do not accept that--the manufacturer will take that back.
should take that back.

but without knowing the circumstances of the purchase, it is impossible to say that even should is an accurate statement.

and cracks in a sink are never just cosmetic. If they are not a structural issue, they are in fact a health issue.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Klawman (09-27-2015), oh'mike (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #8

Talk about a nightmare. The sealed box was opened and it was inspected when it was picked up at the appliance store. No cracks were seen until after the second installation.

It was first installed by the countertop sub. Because the sink support structure and the top were wrong, they had to be removed and redone a week later. The direct contractor then decided to have the sink support build and the sink set in place by the cabinet installer, with the countertop people present. The cabinet maker made the support stand, placed the sink, but left it up to the countertop installers to adjust the sink with shims before gluing everything down.

The circumstances of the purchase was it was a special order of a Franke sink from a vendor recommended by my kitchen contractor.

That's the short version.

Last edited by Klawman; 09-27-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #9

nap mentioned health hazards and I thought of the grinding marks left in the flat top of the sink rim. The countertop sub said they happened when the countertop was pulled after its first abortive installation. There are other marks elsewhere on the rim, but these are the some of the worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Are these cracks in a sink acceptable?-20150918_110117.jpg   Are these cracks in a sink acceptable?-20150918_110230.jpg  

Last edited by Klawman; 09-27-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #10

Looks like the Countertop Sub owes you a new sink.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Looks like the Countertop Sub owes you a new sink.
I think so, but both my kitchen contractor and its countertop sub owe it. I am calling the manufacturer tomorrow to have it weigh in. Otherwise, they will just tell me it's cosmetic. The cost of the sink isn't so much the problem as how to swap a new one for the just installed damaged new one.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

what the heck happened with the grinder? I cannot imagine any valid excuse for the grinder marks so regardless of the cracks, (in case they do claim they are only cosmetic but they aren't since food can lodge in there and be a source for bacteria growth) somebody screwed up the sink and needs to be whipping out the wallet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-27-2015), Startingover (09-28-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawman View Post
I think so, but both my kitchen contractor and its countertop sub owe it. I am calling the manufacturer tomorrow to have it weigh in. Otherwise, they will just tell me it's cosmetic. The cost of the sink isn't so much the problem as how to swap a new one for the just installed damaged new one.
That is no way Cosmetic. That is pure stupidity of the contractors. Who is doing this job if you do not mind? Is it through Home Depot, or local Kitchen design place?

Old 09-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

I just noticed something where i may be mistaken:

are those cracks on the outside? If so, my prior statements would not apply UNLESS they have continued through which I would be very concerned about happening. If they are on the outside, it would likely be more likely the manufacturer exchanges it.
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I just noticed something where i may be mistaken:

are those cracks on the outside? If so, my prior statements would not apply UNLESS they have continued through which I would be very concerned about happening. If they are on the outside, it would likely be more likely the manufacturer exchanges it.
The one set of cracks where the divider is, looks like it is on the bottom of the sink. If I had to guess, it was unsupported and someone put a lot of weight on that area.

The grinder marks would be around the lip. That sink is FUBAR, and someone owes the OP some money. If I had to make a fair guess on this. Low cost Sub's through a company that does not care about the quality of their work.

Reminds me of some of the jobs you see on "Catch a Contractor" on Spike TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement