Subway Tile Install - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 02-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 66

subway tile install

my tub is within an 1/8 in level on the long side.
i see that its common to place a level line around tub as a start point to lay there tile. for 3x6 tile how far up should i draw the line from tub? i'm guessing you would measure up from the low end of the tub? if you have an 1/8" between tub and bottom of tile and 1/8" of grout above the lowest tile, would the line go at the 3 1/4 " ?
Also, is it best to put the bullnose tile at the vertical of tub first and tile in to the corner from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by owenpga; 02-23-2017 at 08:04 PM.
owenpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,490

Re: subway tile install

I'm not a pro but never found it good looking when I tried to use a full tile fast way and leave a large gap over the tub. In your shoes, I'd put the line at 2 1/2" and cut the tiles so that I have a uniform 1/8" joint then caulk it. On vertical side, can you go 36" instead of 30" over the tub? Water can splash out and I use extra tall splash guard, but I like extra tile for protection. And yes on bullnose outside toward in. Adust the width so you end with as wide a tile as you can get in the inside corners.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
owenpga (02-26-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #3

i'm not sure if there are some typos in the first sentence, but i don't understand it.
thanks for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Draw the level line 3-4 rows up from the low spot then work down. Depending on the type of adhesive you use, the tiles may want to droop, keep that in mind. Use spacers or just pieces of cardboard to hold them in place until you start staking. Standard 3x6 ceramic tiles will have spacing lugs so no spacers are needed.

Mark the vertical end lines for the tiles and start there once the back wall is finished. Install the bullnose after enough rows are installed, continue as you go.

Jaz
owenpga likes this.

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 18

I am not a pro but i do tile work on my rentals. In your situation, i would suggest drawing a level line up from the low end of the tub about 3/4" less than the height of your tile. In other words, if your tile is 6 inches high, make your level line 5 1/4 inches up from the low end of the tub. I attach a batten (straight piece of wood) to the wall just below that line. I then tile the wall resting the first row on that batten. The next day, i remove the batten and cut the bottoms of the row of tile that will hit the tub.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Draw the level line 3-4 rows up from the low spot then work down. Depending on the type of adhesive you use, the tiles may want to droop, keep that in mind. Use spacers or just pieces of cardboard to hold them in place until you start staking. Standard 3x6 ceramic tiles will have spacing lugs so no spacers are needed.

Mark the vertical end lines for the tiles and start there once the back wall is finished. Install the bullnose after enough rows are installed, continue as you go.

Jaz

thank you

Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
I am not a pro but i do tile work on my rentals. In your situation, i would suggest drawing a level line up from the low end of the tub about 3/4" less than the height of your tile. In other words, if your tile is 6 inches high, make your level line 5 1/4 inches up from the low end of the tub. I attach a batten (straight piece of wood) to the wall just below that line. I then tile the wall resting the first row on that batten. The next day, i remove the batten and cut the bottoms of the row of tile that will hit the tub.

Hope that helps.

thank you

Old 02-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #8

Need. some help installing 3/8 inch thick corner tile in bath room. not sure of the exact process. Need to put three shelves in the corner and didn't know if I should put tile and then shelf wait for shelf to dry and then add in an extra couple layers of tile put in another shelf etc. also am I just using the regular mortar or is there a special adhesive that I'm putting on the back of the tile? thanks

Old 03-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #9

Look for suggestions on how to handle a difference in ceiling height from left side of center wall H-63 1/2" to the last tile on the right 63 1/4" the widow wall has the same 63 1/2" across entire wall. starting at the corner on the right wall, it goes from 63 1/2 to 63 1/4". How would you handle this situation with the tiling?

Old 03-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #10

Simply cut the tile to fit. Once it is up no one will ever notice a 1/4" change in height.

Another possibility would be to use some type of matching or contrasting "coping tile" (not sure if that is the correct term) kind of like crown moulding around the top.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #11

The shower head extension arm is level with the top of the second to last tile on the left, so there is not much room above the extension arm. as you can see, the last tile doesn't go to the ceiling. i could put a 1.25" tile in and add the bullnose on top, but not sure i could get away with having the small gap of 1/2" at top.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #12

As I see it, you have two or three choices. First, you could live with a large grout line at the top ( least desirable) second, you could tile the ceiling (lots of work) or third, you could install a "pencil tile" across the top in a matching or in a contrasting color. Pencil tiles are typically about 1 inch wide by 6 or 8 inches long. I am suggesting that you install those horizontally such that one edge of the pencil tile rests on the FACE of the existing subway tile.

I know it is too late for this installation, but for any future tile installations i would suggest making and using a "story pole". To explain... if you have 72 inches to cover, get two thin pieces of wood or plastic or flat metal each of which is say 50 inches in length. Starting at one edge, lay out your tiles to at least 50 inches on a workbench, and mark each piece of the story pole at each joint in the tile. Then take the two poles to your installation area, and lay them on the wall with the joint lines matching. Move both pieces as a unit (i.e. joint lines matched up) up and down the wall trying to make the size of the bottom row of tiles the same as the top row. Ifbdoing this leaves you with only a narrow tile at the top and bottom, shrink your story pole by one tile, and do it again. That will leave you with a top and bottom row of tiles that are both slightly wider than 1/2 of a tile. That would eliminate the issue you are currently having. It uses more tiles, and entails more cuts, but the finished product will look far more professional.

It is harder to ecplain the use of a story pole than it is to use one. If you dont understand my explanation try searching for story pole on youtube or google.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #13

Also, just for future reference, i believe your little plastic spacers should be rotated 90 degrees dobthat two arms of those spacers are resting on adjacent tiles. That helps to show you any "lippage" where one tile is projecting off the wall farther than the tile next to it.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #14

Typo should be SO THAT not dobthat

Old 03-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #15

i actually created the layout to scale in photoshop but neglected to check measurements from left and right side from tub to ceiling. i guess i assumed since the tub was level the ceiling would also be level. won't do that again.... i'm not sure that having a halve tile at top and bottom would work, since there is a 1" gap between the bottom of the CB and tub. that would leave 1/2" for the tile to adhere to? Regarding the pencil tile... how would you blend the vertical 2x6 BN and pencil tile? Wouldn't it look a little off with a flat side of the pencil against the flat side of the BN thats thinner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement