Stone Chair Rails - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes

Old 07-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,176

Stone chair rails

I’m planning to install these stone chair rails around a mosaic backsplash

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Anatolia-Ti....-in/1000009168

I want to install them tight to each other, meaning I don’t want to have a grout line between each piece

Should I just butt them together, or do I have to put a thin coat of adhesive anyway?

Other question: surface of the backsplash and chair rails is not that big (8" heigh by 8' long). I would like to avoid mixing thinset. Can I use mastic, like AcrylPro or Omnigrip from Home Depot, or should I go with something better like this:
http://www.tecspecialty.com/products...h#.V3-GjbgrLIU

Thanks
french_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

Re: Stone chair rails

I am not a professional tile setter, but I have done my share in my rental properties and in my own home.

First, i have never used any type of glue between tiles. I have only used grout in that situation. I am not sure if your plan to butt them with no grout line will work since even when butted tightly there will still likely be a small gap between them.

Second, I would NEVER use thinset for a backsplash. My reasoning is that, to remove a backsplash where they used thinset, you would likely have to demo both the tile as well as the drywall behind it since ot is virtually impossible to remove the tile cleanly. With mastic, you can remove the tile and most of the mastic with a spackle knife. Kitchen cabinets (hopefully) outlast the backsplash styles, so i personally would prefer to simply remove and replace the old backsplash tile rather than demo-ing the entire kitchen.

Good luck!

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,458

Frenchy,
I would install that chair rail with an 1/8" gap between each and grout with a matching grout. It will look very nice that way. If the grout matches nice it will blend the pieces together. Butting them will leave what looks like a dark line. I wouldn't use mastic with stone. I would use thinset. As far as down the road, whenever I have to tear out an existing kitchen during a redo, if there's tile on the wall, I cut the drywall out. Two inches above and two inches below tile. I don't waste my time trying to scrape of glue, thinset, or whatever. I can install new drywall and tape it to finish in a fraction of the time.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #4

Frenchie - as stated in my post, i am not a pro. Please efucate me. Why thinset rather than mastic with stone? Also, if the homeowner wants to change the backsplash but keep the cabinets do you just demo around the cabinets, or remove them and then reinstall them? Thanks.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #5

Here is what I'm working on.....
The vertical chair rail will sit on the piece of wood.
Then the horizontal ones will be on a new (and flat) drywall
What is the best way to "glue" the vertical piece that will be on the wood portion (I will use thinset for the pieces on the drywall)?
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chair rails-img_1639.jpg   Stone chair rails-img_1640.jpg  
Old 07-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

Anyone? Should I use epoxy glue for the 2 vertical pieces that will sit on wood?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #7

What exactly are you trying to do there? Are you putting sinks in there and what is going above on the wall? Not sure I've ever seen stone trim used like that before.
Mike Hawkins
Old 07-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #8

OK, picture is apparently misleading...sorry
The countertop is laminate (IKEA) and I'm not putting anything on it other than the 2 sinks
I want to tile a backsplash with 2x2 mosaic tiles, and "frame" it with the chair rails (horizontally on top, and vertically on the 2 sides - left and right)
My wall was not flat at all, so I had to be "creative"- this is why there is 2 vertical pieces of wood attached to the wall (1 on each edge of the countertop)
So the 2 vertical chair rails will have to be attached onto these pieces of wood
The question is what adhesive should I use
Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #9

Frenchy,
I think you may have been better off wrapping that corner with the wood with the drywall, install a corner bead and tape it. I've used modified thinset to adhere tiles to a plywood substrate on small counter tops before and it worked fine. The thing I'm not sure of in your situation is the skinny piece of wood on the edges may have a tendency to move a little and cause problems afterwards. How were you planning on finishing the skinny edge between the old wall and new wall?
Mike Hawkins
Old 07-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #10

I will caulk the corner (old wall and wood) and just paint the edge
On top of the wood/drywall (new wall) and above the backsplash, I will put some fluted trim....
If I were to go with epoxy for the chair rail on wood, , can I use Loctite or Gorilla (the 2 syringe type epoxy glue) that I can find in the glue Dpt at Home Depot or Lowes for example?
For the plain drywall section, I will use Versabon. Could it be OK on the wood?
Should I fill the gap between the wood and drywall with something (caulk, wood glue?) or I'm better of leaving that gap like it is....?
Old 07-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #11

I don't think I would use epoxy or glue on the stone pieces. I would use the versions, but tape the joint between the wood and drywall with the mesh tape meant for taping cement board. You'll find it in the tile section, don't use the mesh tape meant for drywall.
Mike Hawkins
Old 07-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #12

The problem with tile adhered to wood is that wood shrinks and swells and tile doesn't. As a result, tile adhered to wood will likely crack.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:58 AM   #13

What do you mean by “I would use the versions”….Did you mean “Versabond”?

I do have this type of mesh….grey, alkali resistant
What should I use to embed it into and “bridge” the gap wood/drywall? Versabond as well?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
The problem with tile adhered to wood is that wood shrinks and swells and tile doesn't. As a result, tile adhered to wood will likely crack.

Well, another option would be to have a fluted trim all the way down - from ceiling to countertop
Then I will only have horizontal chair rails, only on the drywall
I wanted to avoid wood too close to the countertop, to make sure it doesn't come in contact with water.....
Unless I find some PVC fluted trim?
Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #15

Depending on how much you need and what tools you have, you could make the pvc trim using a 1x6 piece of Azek or equivalent and shapong the edge with a router.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement