Squaring Up A Corner Vanity - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SPS-1
  • 1 Post By gslenk
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79

Old 07-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 232

Squaring up a corner vanity

Finishing up my mini master bath remodel, and the vanity (actually the drywall...) is a bit out of square. What are the ways to deal with this?

On the medicine cabinet above, the rear was not a solid plane, there were top and bottom "plates" of wood that I could sand/contour/paint to get a better fit pretty easily. The vanity is pretty much a solid plane on both rear/sides and the top is flush with the back sides, so I think removing material is out of the question.

Without shims the vanity is perfectly level in one direction, and slightly out of level in the other. 1/8" shim under the right leg brings it perfectly level, 1/4" shim closes the top left gap pretty close and still reasonably level. 3/8" shim (or slightly less) seems to completely close the gap, and the top is slightly out of level in the other direction.

I was thinking shims, and caulk around the legs on the floor to hide the gap at the floor that shims make?

Also, once I do get it level, do I screw the whole thing into studs? Do I leave a gap for caulk where the top meets the wall, or just caulk it after its all snug against the wall?

Hope the pics help.
Attached Thumbnails
Squaring up a corner vanity-img_3494.jpeg   Squaring up a corner vanity-img_3495.jpeg   Squaring up a corner vanity-img_3496.jpeg  
gslenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,214

Re: Squaring up a corner vanity

Backsplash pieces would help a lot of that.
Attached Images

huesmann and Nealtw like this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,772

Shim it to level or to what looks the best for the room. While it is sitting there, what ever the biggest shim is use that height to mark the other two legs. Cut the other legs.

That will shorten the box the height of the shim but all will fit as is.
Attached Thumbnails
Squaring up a corner vanity-gsl-1.png  
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #4

The edges look a bit complicated for a backsplash. I'll give the feet chopping a shot. Whats the best approach/tool for shaving off 1/8-1/4"? I have a belt sander and some saws.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:39 AM   #5
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslenk View Post
The edges look a bit complicated for a backsplash. I'll give the feet chopping a shot. Whats the best approach/tool for shaving off 1/8-1/4"? I have a belt sander and some saws.

When you have it in place and you are happy did you spill a little water to see if it just rolled off the side, that might be a game changer.

I would clamp a board under a the table of a circular saw to make a fence, or better, drill a couple holes and screw it there.

Just remember the 1/4 and 1/8 includes the blade. The teeth of the blade are bent in and out so you want to make sure you are measure to the part of the tooth that is farthest away from the fence.

Then when you stand it up if it rocks a little when you have it in place, you fine tune it with a sander.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #6

I spilled a few small puddles of water at all possible "states of level" (no shims and with shims) the water stays puddled and doesn't move. The level bubble moves from touching a hair over the left line without shims, to about a fifth over the right line when shimmed. I am guessing if I trim it a little less than perfect, I should get it close enough to level, and caulk between the walls and sink top should hide whatever gap remains.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslenk View Post
I spilled a few small puddles of water at all possible "states of level" (no shims and with shims) the water stays puddled and doesn't move. The level bubble moves from touching a hair over the left line without shims, to about a fifth over the right line when shimmed. I am guessing if I trim it a little less than perfect, I should get it close enough to level, and caulk between the walls and sink top should hide whatever gap remains.
I would be thinking about that back splash too, but that can be a later decision.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #8

I'd have to find a suitable material first. I had a hell of a time finding a granite curb for my shower to match this top. I'll probably keep an eye out if I stumble across anything, either a better match, or just something clean. I was just getting used to the no backsplash idea. The wall paint is like 6 coats of PPG timeless. I thought painting before tiling and doing my corner light fixture soffit was a great idea... not.

I do have a pretty nice tile saw... so maybe a mosaic or stone of some kind might work.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,406

Just my two cents, but with me being retired now I do all the bathroom cleaning and floor cleaning and my own laundry, to help out my wife. And my new jobs have taught me a thing or two, about house keeping.

Whenever a sink top does not allow the water to drain back to the drain that drips from ones hands that operate the faucets, it can cause problems for the janitor.

Just like my vanity sink that I installed in our half bath in the pic. Gives me fits, trying to remember to wipe off the back of the sink EVERY time I use it, or I end up with scale marks/water spots on the sink top from the standing water ...as noted in the attachment.

Maybe someday I will take it apart and fix it, as I have a caulking fail on the right outside corner anyway. Good Luck on your project and JMO

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 07-30-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #10

I don't think there is any slope built into the drain top to lead to the sink bowl. Might have to resort to a small towel in the area for cleaning splashes, and a reminder sign

Hopefully it is engineered stone and not natural.

Shaved it with a multitool and a orbital sander. Didn't trust myself with a saw on this. Fits much better now, thanks!
Nealtw likes this.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,406

I believe we domestic engineers out here need to accost the plumbing fixture engineers and let them know, just how MANY fixtures they design that are absolutely Hades to keep clean.

They do not build the tops to drain naturally to the bowls, their faucets handles get set too close together or too far back to the wall/splash, to where a person can barely get a cloth in the area to clean.

They build nooks, crooks and crannies in to the plumbing fixtures where a half grown toothbrush is needed to clean them. And their fixtures are installed in the one room in a home, where it can become the most gross to be in... if is not cleaned properly.

Blasphemy it is I say, to the good housekeepers out here like me that are trying to keep clean bathrooms. …
Nealtw likes this.
Advertisement