Source For Oversized Kitchen Cabinets? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ddawg16

Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 72

Source for oversized kitchen cabinets?

When I remodel my kitchen, I want my countertop height to be 42" and the counter depth to be 30-36". (I am very tall, and I don't care about the ergonomics of anyone else but me-- that's why I bought a house.) It seems that all manufactured cabinets I have found are locked into the standard dimensions. I can't afford to get custom-constructed cabinets at this point. So, I see 2 options:

1. Find a manufactured cabinet line that offers larger height and depth. (I'm hoping someone here will know of such a company.)

2. Use the standard sizes but elevate them on a toekick pedestal and set them back from the wall with a box with a raised ledge. The problem doing this is that the inside of the cabinets and drawers will still only be 24" deep. An advantage is that it provides dead space for routing plumbing and mechanicals. But if I have to go this route, can anyone provide some tips on what to consider when doing so?
jazzop89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: Source for oversized kitchen cabinets?

A third option is to build your own cabinets, then you get exactly what you want.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
A third option is to build your own cabinets, then you get exactly what you want.
Yup....It's not as hard as you think.

Basically, face frame and bottom. I can do a face frame in about 1 hr. The bottom and sides take the rest of the day (glue dry time). Staining another morning....3rd day, clear coats.

I don't make my drawers and doors any more. I just buy them. Given the quality and what my time is worth? It's cheaper and better.

This place is in my neck of the woods, but they do ship. And you might be able to find one local to you.

http://www.dreeswoodproducts.com/

Here is one of my recent projects....

You can get the drawers made any size you want. They do a great job of dovetail.

Yodaman likes this.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link

Last edited by ddawg16; 06-20-2017 at 12:21 PM.
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
jazzop89 (06-21-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

IKEA cabinets have adjustable feet. And you could just space them off the wall to make your counter deeper. The counter will then cover the gap. And their upper cabinets are 2" deeper than standard. So that will work well with deeper lower cabinets.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I'm wary of attempting this, as my skills with wood and wood tools are almost nil. I can rebuild a drivetrain and basic electronics, but anything with aesthetic properties scares me. But I might be convinced to try it if you can point me to some good resources (like the cabinetry equivalent of a Haynes/Chilton manual). As I said earlier, the appeal of a bespoke job is that I can get the full interior volume usable inside the cabinets and drawers, vice just shimming the assembly up and out. This extra capacity might allow me to delete a cabinet or two, which would save money and open up the room a bit. A contributing factor to going this route is that I want slab-faced, full-overlay doors with surface-mounted pulls, which is probably the simplest to build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret86844 View Post
IKEA cabinets have adjustable feet. And you could just space them off the wall to make your counter deeper. The counter will then cover the gap. And their upper cabinets are 2" deeper than standard. So that will work well with deeper lower cabinets.
I played around with the Ikea design website after several people have recommended their mail-order cabinetry, but that was a few months ago. I did not know that bit about the feet. Do they offer a matching toekick panel to cover the gap at the feet, even if I raise the feet to their full extension? There is no Ikea store within 250 miles, so I don't get the luxury of visiting a showroom.

My design idea is not to make the main counter much deeper, but to have a 4-6" high ledge at the back of the counter, which would itself have a 4-6" strip of counter material on the top. I would get a lot of utility out of a multi-tiered counter area because I will do quite a bit of canning, bottling, beer brewing, etc. It also gives me a wider range of options in countertops if I don't need more depth than the common size for the main counter. I would prefer that the ledge component be a 4-6" square box on top of a full-depth base cabinet rather than a 4-6"D x 48"H block-out behind a standard-depth base cabinet. (I hope my descriptions paint an adequate picture.) Inside that little ledge box, I can run PEX, electrical conduit, and gas lines; which will allow me to achieve a higher R-value on my wall insulation (without voids caused by the plumbing) and make future repairs/mods much easier.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

Ikea does make a toe kick that snaps onto the feet. Although the more I think about it, they may not extend tall enough to make 42" counters. But you could make a wood base and set the cabinets on top of that. Some people do that anyways with Ikea cabinets. And they sell finish panels which are color matched to your cabinet. This could be cut to the size of your toe kick.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 898

You could go to a local cabinet maker. No factory is going to offer what you're looking for.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #8

Ikea is officially ruled out. They don't make anything to accommodate a 48" cooktop, nor for the dimensions of my double wall oven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement