Some Bathroom Design Questions - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 212

Some bathroom design questions

Hey guys, small/quick questions I haven't been able to google...

1) I was searching the Wisconsin codes (SPS 321 is correct document?) and I can't find anything about minimum bathroom size, etc. I'm looking for the toilet spacing, sink spacing, etc. I'm looking to change a large bathroom to a smaller one; to make room for a closet in the room next to it.

2) What is your opinion on shower ceilings? Do the extra work and tile it too? Don't want to just have drywall up there (plan to tile the rest).

3) to save money for the master bath shower; I plan to tile it (curb, etC); and then have a shower curtain for a bit, adding the glass later. Will that be a problem?

Thanks!
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

No idea what your local codes are but here's some rules of thumb.
http://www.us.kohler.com/designkb/de...ceplanning.jsp
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

1) I was searching the Wisconsin codes (SPS 321 is correct document?) and I can't find anything about minimum bathroom size, etc. I'm looking for the toilet spacing, sink spacing, etc. I'm looking to change a large bathroom to a smaller one; to make room for a closet in the room next to it.

2) What is your opinion on shower ceilings? Do the extra work and tile it too? Don't want to just have drywall up there (plan to tile the rest).

3) to save money for the master bath shower; I plan to tile it (curb, etC); and then have a shower curtain for a bit, adding the glass later. Will that be a problem?

Thanks!
1. I don't know that there are minimum square footage requirements for a bathroom, but there are minimum ceiling heights and there are absolutely requirements on spacing of toilets, sinks, etc.

2. I like tiled shower ceilings, but the catch here is the structure above it. To tiling a ceiling means quite a bit of weight pulling down on the joists. In my area, tiling overhead requires joists to be 16" OC max.

3. I can't imagine a curtain will be a problem. Just make sure you design the shower with a glass enclosure in mind. Glass is heavy and the hardware requires solid surfaces to anchor into.
JeepNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

My bath is aprx. five 1/2 feet by twelve feet, with eight foor ceilings. We have a thirty inch cabinet vanity in there, toilet is centered between it and the tub.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 868
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Check out THIS link from the 2009 IRC and THIS one too.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
coderguy (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
Check out THIS link from the 2009 IRC and THIS one too.

Andy.
The first link is perfect!

As for the second, I don't think a bathroom counts as habitable???

R304.3 Minimum dimensions: Habitable rooms shall not be less than 7 feet (2134 mm) in any horizontal dimension.

I know many many bathrooms that are a lot smaller than this?
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 81

Correct

"Habitable Space: A Space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls storage or utility spaces and simliar areas are not considered habitable spaces."
JeepNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Designer bathrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Thanks!

sounds like a good plan you got there. definitely tile/water proof paint the shower ceiling for a safer roof over your head.

designer bathrooms
philjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement