Solid Surface Countertops Without A Solid Budget (Epoxy Countertop)? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 240

Solid Surface Countertops without a Solid Budget (Epoxy countertop)?

So i'm in the process of redoing my kitchen. I have my cabinets and pretty much everything squared away. However I'm having issues determining what I'm going to do with the countertop. I want to go granite, but it's obviously the most expensive option. When pricing granite It appeared to be roughly the cost of the entire kitchen cabinets. They also get you buy charging you for each corner, cut, bevel etc... So the price-per-sq-foot is BS.

I don't want to do laminate because it simply looks cheap. I don't want to do tile, because I did it in a kitchen a few years back and it looked good, but difficult to clean. I would be willing to do a concrete countertop, but it seems you need a lot of mixing, leveling and sanding to make it work. I also don't have great concrete skills. I imagine making a horror story of a countertop.

I was reading about people doing EPOXY countertops. They make a wood substrate of HDF/MDF they then mix up a epoxy resin with dye, this is poured over and/or brushed over the surface. You can then mix other colors and pour it in a random pattern or you could even put flakes/glitter etc...

My understanding is epoxy is a pretty hard surface. My biggest concern is durability. I don't think epoxy will crack but it may become very scratched/hazy or "blur" etc....

Does anybody have experience in this?

This is a link with countertop examples. I don't think you have to use specifically that product, you could use general epoxy.

http://www.bestbartopepoxy.com/epoxy-countertops
steppinthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement