Small Bathroom Remodel Project - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By edc901
  • 1 Post By edc901

Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 74

Small bathroom remodel project

Day 1

Standard 5ft x10ft bathroom. I decided, lets do thisssss.

What's... that..?

Fudge. Why is this there? Why do you hate me? There is an a/c vent under this bathroom.... I thought the square box would just go straight down, wtf is this BS? Any suggestions? I'd rather not bump the wall out to avoid this since it's already a small bathroom.
edc901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2018, 01:14 AM   #2

Re: Small bathroom remodel project

Here is a better pic...

Duct comes down, then goes right then down for the register. I see the little bit of mold there. Seems the previous owners repair of duct take wasn't good enough...hah As with most things they did around the house.

Do you guys think this would be a good alternative?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-10...oot/1000230157

Last edited by edc901; 08-08-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2018, 01:30 AM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,814

It is not in the way of a tub???

Post a picture of the duct in the basement.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2018, 02:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
It is not in the way of a tub???

Post a picture of the duct in the basement.
I guess the tub didn't hit it. But I planned on putting just a shower in. There is no basement below it. It's my living room down there.

The duct size is 3.5" x 12"
Old 08-08-2018, 02:42 AM   #5
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc901 View Post
I guess the tub didn't hit it. But I planned on putting just a shower in. There is no basement below it. It's my living room down there.

The duct size is 3.5" x 12"
I think it jogs over to get around a wall down stars. or a floor joist You will likely have to remove some floor to see what you are up against
You could raise the floor in the shower if nothing else works.
If there is a joist there you may be able to see it and if the wall below is not load bearing You wouldn't notch the joist for it.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I think it jogs over to get around a wall down stars. or a floor joist You will likely have to remove some floor to see what you are up against
You could raise the floor in the shower if nothing else works.
If there is a joist there you may be able to see it and if the wall below is not load bearing You wouldn't notch the joist for it.
There is no wall directly below. But the 3.25x12" duct does go right by a joist.

I'd have raise the floor 4" to clear this mound. That would be like making a step up into the bathroom I don't think that's an option.

Is it possible to connect this 3.25"x12" duct directly to a square register? Is the round part even needed if I just go straight down?

If I can just go straight down into a register, then that would be the easiest and I could just patch the old register hole. But can't seem to find the parts I'd need. I'm not sure why the extra leg was even needed.

I made a crude drawing of what's going on.
Attached Images

Mayra123 likes this.

Last edited by edc901; 08-08-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:57 AM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
There is no wall directly below. But the 3.25x12" duct does go right by a joist.

I'd have raise the floor 4" to clear this mound. That would be like making a step up into the bathroom I don't think that's an option.

Is it possible to connect this 3.25"x12" duct directly to a square register? Is the round part even needed if I just go straight down?

If I can just go straight down into a register, then that would be the easiest and I could just patch the old register hole. But can't seem to find the parts I'd need. I'm not sure why the extra leg was even needed.

I made a crude drawing of what's going on.
The drawing is wrong.
You have this or similar sitting on a joist which puts you above the floor.

The raised floor would only be the shower not the bathroom
Old 08-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,406

I like watching remodel jobs. I hope the OP is not removing his homes only bath tub.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #9

Been a little slow around here. I hadn't touched the bathroom in days. I've had guys installing new windows and siding on my house and ugh... anyways.

So today I finished demoing the old tile and concrete board and cleaning everything out. I got a piece of the floor up to figure out where I was going to move my plumbing and try to send the hvac duct straight down.

Well, this explains why my subfloor was unlevel against the back wall. It appears to be floating. [img]/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img] Also, previous owners notched out the joist a bit to make room for the ducting elbow.

Any suggestions on what I should do about the floating wall? (ETA: It was like this before I cut into it. I knew there was a gap, just didn't know how much.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
adam

Rewards Points: 140

Isn't that special, I feel your pain from here

The old owners shaved the floor joist to make some space for the duct work.

Perhaps take some photos with you to Lowe's (or the HVAC supply center of your choice). Sometimes they have good ideas if you get lucky and speak with an experienced person. Bring some dimensions too. The lengths and dimensions of the items in question are important.

Last edited by adamz; 08-18-2018 at 07:43 PM.
adamz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #11
retired framer

Quote:
Been a little slow around here. I hadn't touched the bathroom in days. I've had guys installing new windows and siding on my house and ugh... anyways.

So today I finished demoing the old tile and concrete board and cleaning everything out. I got a piece of the floor up to figure out where I was going to move my plumbing and try to send the hvac duct straight down.

Well, this explains why my subfloor was unlevel against the back wall. It appears to be floating. [img]/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img] Also, previous owners notched out the joist a bit to make room for the ducting elbow.

Any suggestions on what I should do about the floating wall? (ETA: It was like this before I cut into it. I knew there was a gap, just didn't know how much.
What a surprise to find the joist there.
That wall is non bearing and the drywall holds it square and the floor joist has a bit of a sag in it, not a big deal.

Now are you going to move the HVAC to closet ?
Old 08-19-2018, 01:38 AM   #12

The HVAC will be moved on the other side. Easiest way to not mess with my shower space and won't affect the closet space much. I'll just go straight down. So that issue is solved.

The floor is definitely sloping down. It's about 1/4" low on the last few joists. Joists are 2x10 on a 12 inch center. 3/4" subfloor should be fine on that once I get the back end up, right? The rest of the floor is in good condition and level. I will be using Ditra.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement