Small Bathroom Remodel Project - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By edc901
  • 1 Post By edc901
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 74
Default

Small bathroom remodel project


Day 1

Standard 5ft x10ft bathroom. I decided, lets do thisssss.





What's... that..?


Fudge. Why is this there? Why do you hate me? There is an a/c vent under this bathroom.... I thought the square box would just go straight down, wtf is this BS? Any suggestions? I'd rather not bump the wall out to avoid this since it's already a small bathroom.
edc901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-08-2018, 01:14 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 74
Default

Re: Small bathroom remodel project


Here is a better pic...


Duct comes down, then goes right then down for the register. I see the little bit of mold there. Seems the previous owners repair of duct take wasn't good enough...hah As with most things they did around the house.


Do you guys think this would be a good alternative?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-10...oot/1000230157

Last edited by edc901; 08-08-2018 at 01:17 AM.
edc901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-08-2018, 01:30 AM   #3
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 25,462
Rewards Points: 18,814
Default

Re: Small bathroom remodel project


It is not in the way of a tub???


Post a picture of the duct in the basement.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-08-2018, 02:31 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 74
Default

Re: Small bathroom remodel project


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
It is not in the way of a tub???


Post a picture of the duct in the basement.
I guess the tub didn't hit it. But I planned on putting just a shower in. There is no basement below it. It's my living room down there.

The duct size is 3.5" x 12"
edc901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:42 AM   #5
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 25,462
Rewards Points: 18,814
Default

Re: Small bathroom remodel project


Quote:
Originally Posted by edc901 View Post
I guess the tub didn't hit it. But I planned on putting just a shower in. There is no basement below it. It's my living room down there.

The duct size is 3.5" x 12"
I think it jogs over to get around a wall down stars. or a floor joist You will likely have to remove some floor to see what you are up against
You could raise the floor in the shower if nothing else works.
If there is a joist there you may be able to see it and if the wall below is not load bearing You wouldn't notch the joist for it.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:06 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 74
Default

Re: Small bathroom remodel project


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I think it jogs over to get around a wall down stars. or a floor joist You will likely have to remove some floor to see what you are up against
You could raise the floor in the shower if nothing else works.
If there is a joist there you may be able to see it and if the wall below is not load bearing You wouldn't notch the joist for it.
There is no wall directly below. But the 3.25x12" duct does go right by a joist.

I'd have raise the floor 4" to clear this mound. That would be like making a step up into the bathroom I don't think that's an option.

Is it possible to connect this 3.25"x12" duct directly to a square register? Is the round part even needed if I just go straight down?

If I can just go straight down into a register, then that would be the easiest and I could just patch the old register hole. But can't seem to find the parts I'd need. I'm not sure why the extra leg was even needed.

I made a crude drawing of what's going on.
Attached Images
 
Mayra123 likes this.

Last edited by edc901; 08-08-2018 at 03:22 AM.
edc901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:57 AM   #7
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 25,462
Rewards Points: 18,814
Default

Re: Small bathroom remodel project


Quote:
Originally Posted by edc901 View Post
There is no wall directly below. But the 3.25x12" duct does go right by a joist.

I'd have raise the floor 4" to clear this mound. That would be like making a step up into the bathroom I don't think that's an option.

Is it possible to connect this 3.25"x12" duct directly to a square register? Is the round part even needed if I just go straight down?

If I can just go straight down into a register, then that would be the easiest and I could just patch the old register hole. But can't seem to find the parts I'd need. I'm not sure why the extra leg was even needed.

I made a crude drawing of what's going on.
The drawing is wrong.
You have this or similar sitting on a joist which puts you above the floor.

The raised floor would only be the shower not the bathroom
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 3,691
Rewards Points: 1,406
Default

Re: Small bathroom remodel project


I like watching remodel jobs. I hope the OP is not removing his homes only bath tub.
__________________
...
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 74
Default

Re: Small bathroom remodel project


Been a little slow around here. I hadn't touched the bathroom in days. I've had guys installing new windows and siding on my house and ugh... anyways.

So today I finished demoing the old tile and concrete board and cleaning everything out. I got a piece of the floor up to figure out where I was going to move my plumbing and try to send the hvac duct straight down.

Well, this explains why my subfloor was unlevel against the back wall. It appears to be floating. [img]/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img] Also, previous owners notched out the joist a bit to make room for the ducting elbow.

Any suggestions on what I should do about the floating wall? (ETA: It was like this before I cut into it. I knew there was a gap, just didn't know how much.



edc901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
adam
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 70
Rewards Points: 140
Default

Re: Small bathroom remodel project


Isn't that special, I feel your pain from here

The old owners shaved the floor joist to make some space for the duct work.

Perhaps take some photos with you to Lowe's (or the HVAC supply center of your choice). Sometimes they have good ideas if you get lucky and speak with an experienced person. Bring some dimensions too. The lengths and dimensions of the items in question are important.

Last edited by adamz; 08-18-2018 at 07:43 PM.
adamz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #11
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 25,462
Rewards Points: 18,814
Default

Re: Small bathroom remodel project


Quote:
Originally Posted by edc901 View Post
Been a little slow around here. I hadn't touched the bathroom in days. I've had guys installing new windows and siding on my house and ugh... anyways.

So today I finished demoing the old tile and concrete board and cleaning everything out. I got a piece of the floor up to figure out where I was going to move my plumbing and try to send the hvac duct straight down.

Well, this explains why my subfloor was unlevel against the back wall. It appears to be floating. [img]/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img] Also, previous owners notched out the joist a bit to make room for the ducting elbow.

Any suggestions on what I should do about the floating wall? (ETA: It was like this before I cut into it. I knew there was a gap, just didn't know how much.
What a surprise to find the joist there.
That wall is non bearing and the drywall holds it square and the floor joist has a bit of a sag in it, not a big deal.


Now are you going to move the HVAC to closet ?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:38 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 74
Default

Re: Small bathroom remodel project


The HVAC will be moved on the other side. Easiest way to not mess with my shower space and won't affect the closet space much. I'll just go straight down. So that issue is solved.

The floor is definitely sloping down. It's about 1/4" low on the last few joists. Joists are 2x10 on a 12 inch center. 3/4" subfloor should be fine on that once I get the back end up, right? The rest of the floor is in good condition and level. I will be using Ditra.
Nealtw likes this.
edc901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Bathroom Remodel Woes ndenice Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 4 07-30-2016 10:12 PM
Small Bathroom remodel dan!mal Electrical 5 08-03-2015 10:47 PM
Main bathroom total remodel project NickWa Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 5 09-06-2012 04:34 PM
Help with bathroom remodel!!! jasongilliland Building & Construction 4 11-16-2011 06:05 PM
Jim's downstairs bathroom project Jim F Project Showcase 90 03-18-2011 10:02 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts