Are Slate Countertops Like Working With Soapstone? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 214

Are slate countertops like working with soapstone?

I stumbled on this idea of reusing pool table slate for kitchen countertops. From my research there are several people who have done this successfully, slate is a real material used for countertops outside of this repurposing notion, and slate seems to be lauded for it's relative hardness, ease of maintenance, resistance to heat, etc.

All this to say, there's not a lot of info online of working with slate as far as seaming, sealing, etc. From what I gather it looks like it's a lot like soapstone as far as being able to cut it with a wet saw, orbit sand it for smoothness, and then seal it with a suitable oil. Although I don't think mineral oil is recommended for slate, I think there are some slate oriented products out there.

Is my takeaway correct? Would I just be using black epoxy to glue seams together and then orbit sand it as I would soapstone? Or are there some tips and tricks to working with slate I'm not aware of? I have a lot of flooring experience working with thinner slate but never a thicker amount or installing countertops in general. Thanks!
bluegrassliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Are slate countertops like working with soapstone?

Why did you start a second thread? Moderator, please remove the second thread.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement