Sink Drain Gasket. What Size - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RRH

Old 02-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 755

Sink Drain Gasket. What size

I purchased a vanity and now trying to install the faucet and drain. I noticed the gasket for the faucet/drain does not fit properly. I would think the gasket would sit inside the drain part. In the photo, you can see that the gasket is a bit wider than the opening. Is this common when purchasing faucets? and is an appropriate size gasket available at the big box stores? or do I need to order it online.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Sink Drain Gasket.  What size-20190227_133752.jpg   Sink Drain Gasket.  What size-20190227_133933.jpg   Sink Drain Gasket.  What size-20190227_133736.jpg  
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,273

Re: Sink Drain Gasket. What size

Not sure where your confusion is coming from. The tapered rubber gasket gets pinched and squeezed between the bottom of the sink drain and the threaded flange, creating a watertight seal.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,316

Like other post said. You are fine and have the correct one. Does not fit inside and lay perfectly flat like you may have seen on a normal flat washer.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Not sure where your confusion is coming from. The tapered rubber gasket gets pinched and squeezed between the bottom of the sink drain and the threaded flange, creating a watertight seal.
Looking at the gasket, I wasn't sure if it is considered tapered. The raised part of the gasket is larger then the drain opening. Would I need to use teflon tape on the threads and plummers puddy above the gasket?
Attached Thumbnails
Sink Drain Gasket.  What size-20190228_132249.jpg   Sink Drain Gasket.  What size-20190228_132254.jpg  
Old 02-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,316

Again you are fine millions have been used and you would be hard pressed to find anything different. And why.

Plumbers putty under the flange top inside the sink. Nothing on the gasket under the sink or on the threads.

Although I am a bit picky and always add a Teflon pipe dope on the top of the gasket were it meets the sink. But again not needed. A little messy and I had maybe 1 out of 50 that leaked. Rare times the sink had a small flaw or something and had a hard time getting a good seal. Pipe dope solved the prob and I just got in the habit of using it.
joecaption likes this.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRH View Post
Again you are fine millions have been used and you would be hard pressed to find anything different. And why.

Plumbers putty under the flange top inside the sink. Nothing on the gasket under the sink or on the threads.

Although I am a bit picky and always add a Teflon pipe dope on the top of the gasket were it meets the sink. But again not needed. A little messy and I had maybe 1 out of 50 that leaked. Rare times the sink had a small flaw or something and had a hard time getting a good seal. Pipe dope solved the prob and I just got in the habit of using it.
Need to pick up some Plumbers Putty. The faucet instructions said to use Silicon under the flange but assume Putty is better.

The main concern is the overflow, where water would sit on top of the gasket, not completely draining since the holes in the photo are likely to be high above the gasket. But assume this is normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Sink Drain Gasket.  What size-20190228_165902.jpg  
Old 03-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,273

The putty is easier to remove when something needs replacing.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement