Sink Code Setbacks - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 396

sink code setbacks

I'm trying to plan a bathroom remodel and I'm running into some problems in understanding the code. I understand it asks for 15" separation from the center of one fixture to the side of another (so effectively 30" usually) and 4" to a wall from the side of the bowl, but I'm not clear I'm interpreting the last one right.

Thats the layout I'm considering. I'm trying to shove a 3 piece into a very small space.

My questions are 1) I need to recess a space to get the sink in. the sink is roughly 18 inches wide, can I make the recess space 18 inches so it butts up agains the wall? do I need to make the space 26 inches so there is 4 inches of separation on each side from the edge of the sink? or do I need 15 inches on each side?

If you see any other potential problems let me know.

Many thanks.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I think you may be misunderstanding the code book---the toilet is the only bath item that has clearance requirements in my book---
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 512

My plumbing book only has spacing for the toilet.

And I'm not understanding what you mean by the measurement being "effectively 30 inches" 15 inches from the center to the side of the next fixture. So if the toilet is next to the tub, the tub wall must be 15 inches from the center of the toilet. If the toilet is 15 inches wide, then the tub would end up being 7.5 inches from the outside of the bowl itself.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 582

need 30" for normal rough in...shower and vanity what ever works for you...now plumbing them is a different story...drains and vents must meet code...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,598

18" isn't convenient for most adults. Shoulders hitting the wall. Things like that get old real quick. May become sticking issue if you sell the property. Can't remove 1 row of studs from each side? Or can the square corners made into widening angles?

My last house, I had toilet and 30x30 shower side by side by using pan only and curtains. Made own quarter round curtain rod, using copper tube and threaded flange, and did not need middle support rod to the ceiling. Shower pan was just a few inches away from the side of the bowl, plenty of room for feet, but not 15" room, but inspector did not say anything. I did not volunteer.

If what you drew is the only space you have, at least try rounding the corners.
Crazy idea, but portable sink in the shower? Drain onto shower floor.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,318

In a nut shell....you want the space for the toilet to be 30" or more wide....and you need about 5' of clear space from the back wall of where the toilet is.

I think what you have is fine.

Can someone sitting on the head get up without running into anything? If so....your good to go.

As far as I know, there are no rules on how big or small a sink is.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #7

So I found one of the codes, and I think it's relevant...

The minimum distance between a wall and the edge of a free standing or wall-hung lavatory is 4". (IRC R 307.2)

I'm assuming I'm reading it right? so when I hang the sink it needs 4 inches from the edge of the unit to the wall, which sounds reasonable enough I guess anyway.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #8

and found the wall one that was worrying me...

The minimum distance from the centerline of the lavatory to a wall is 15". (IPC 405.3.1) =/ that might get annoying with a small 18" sink or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement