Silicone Removal From Bathtub Ledge - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SPS-1

Old 05-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 708

Silicone removal from bathtub ledge

My daughter, bless her heart, has removed a sliding door from her bath tub and scraped (as best she could) the silicone from the tub and surround, however, there remains a skim of silicone which I am sure will present problems in the future.

I followed up with a razor blade to scrape some more of the silicone off, but am still not happy with the results.

Is there a liquid which will remove the remainder of the silicone from the tub and surround which will not damage the surround?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,188

Re: Silicone removal from bathtub ledge

I don't think there is a "remover" that will dissolve the silicone. Products such as this one soften the silicone to make it supposedly easier to remove. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/da...t#.Vzi_k5BwUqw

Myself, rather than razor blades, I use a small piece of softwood, applying pressure to break the bond. The wood is harder than the silicone, but likely softer than the tub, so less likely to cause damage. Followed by scrubbing with cleanser.

For sure, new silicone will not stick to old silicone, so you have to get the old stuff FULLY removed.
Windows on Wash likes this.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
jlhaslip (05-15-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Myself, rather than razor blades, I use a small piece of softwood, applying pressure to break the bond. The wood is harder than the silicone, but likely softer than the tub, so less likely to cause damage. Followed by scrubbing with cleanser.
I like this option. I have previously use a strong towel to generate the friction. I like the wood option.

I would skip the remover like SPS-1 said. Silicone is just so inert that nothing works well on it and you will be exposing yourself to some nasty stuff.

Best stuff to use here is elbow grease.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,574

A wood paint stir stick will remove the bulk of the old silicone.

Then a soft rag and WD-40 will remove any residue, then clean that with a glass cleaner (Windex).

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement