Side By Side Bathroom Remodel - Flooring? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 324

Side by side bathroom remodel - flooring?

I have two 2nd floor bathrooms currently completely gutted. A simple wall separated the two bathrooms, no top or bottom plate - just 2x4 studs.

I've removed the studs b/c I had to replace part of the subfloor, so the two bathrooms is currently one large room.

Does it make sense to get one large piece of vinyl flooring and cover the entire floor and then build a wall on top of the vinyl flooring dividing the room once more into two bathrooms?

Any pros/cons is much appreciated.
Fisher1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,692

Re: Side by side bathroom remodel - flooring?

It may be more difficult to lay vinyl through two rooms considering all the pipes, etc. I would go ahead and lay in the bottom plate and top plate so you will have something to attach your studs to and either lay in each room separately with vinyl or ceramic tile (preferred). One disadvantage to building a wall on top is the shrink factor of the vinyl versus the wood that you will have entrapped it with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 324

Re: Side by side bathroom remodel - flooring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
It may be more difficult to lay vinyl through two rooms considering all the pipes, etc. I would go ahead and lay in the bottom plate and top plate so you will have something to attach your studs to and either lay in each room separately with vinyl or ceramic tile (preferred). One disadvantage to building a wall on top is the shrink factor of the vinyl versus the wood that you will have entrapped it with.
That is a great point. I didn't consider that laying the floor and then a bottom plate could constrict the expansion/contraction of the vinyl and cause issues.

Thank you!
Fisher1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement