Shower Water Puddling - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Shower water puddling

We are having some problem with a bathroom remodeling project. Pretty much everything they have done has had to be done over and in some cases done over four or five times. Currently the biggest problem is the shower. After taking a shower the water is pooling. Badly. We picked river rocks for our shower floor and they have had to put them in twice. The first time was the original installation which was ok but they messed up on the shower wall tile and had to rip out the floor and do a second shower floor installation. On this second attempt they did an awful job. The river rock tile are 12x12 sheets on a wire or netting frame. There should be enough grout in between the rocks so that water does not collect, there should be no large dips for water to collect in and the pitch should slant to the drain. The drain might be the low point of the shower but there are MANY collection points for water to pool in and not be able to escape. I showed the job to a second contractor and they said I would have problems later on if I did not have this fixed. He said the standing water would seep down through the grout joints into the morter and hot pan. He said I would likely see cracking in the grout and the shower would start to smell of mildew and mold. I did some tests with a basketball, randomly rolling it in the shower. It should stop on or next to the drain EVERY time. It doesn't. I will try to embed to You Tube videos of me rolling the ball.

What are your thoughts? The new contractor says to put the replacement shower floor tile on top of the current one. Of course with a new morter pitched correctly and some water proof (red guard?) sealer.

Hopefully can get the video in another post below. It won't let me post the video since this is my first post ever. Strange rule.
real_cozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #2

Re: Shower water puddling

Dear Mod,

Please allow me to post link to videos. Says I cannot since I am new.

Until I can get the video up. What I did was roll a basketball in my shower and it doesn't stop on or near the drain. On the first roll it stops in one of the big holes and on the second roll it stops in the corner against the wall.

Thanks!

Last edited by real_cozzy; 01-23-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

without seeing its hard to tell...
could it be there is just not enough grout between stones?

Peace
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2018, 10:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR P View Post
without seeing its hard to tell...
could it be there is just not enough grout between stones?

Peace
It is a combination of not enough grout between stones, bad pitch and some dips as if they stepped on the floor before the morter hardened and made a dip. Some areas could be regroutted and that would help some but there are enough dips and low spots along wall that you would have to bury the river stone floor in grout and it would be ugly.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 PM   #5

Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 PM   #6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement