Shower Wall Tile - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

Shower Wall Tile

Hello all,

First post but long time reader. I'm about to have a new tub put in and I wanted to tackle the tiling myself. After reading probably 1000 threads over the past month I'm probably
more confused than when I started.

My general confusion is really around which approach to take. I was originally going to go with a 1/2 Hardiebacker in place of the drywall, use a water proofer over the CBU(red guard?), thin-set, tile, grout and praise my work. Then I came across a Denshield post about how great it was which lead to people not liking Denshield anymore to Kerdi board to Kerdi membrane and a hundred things in between.

So, what do people like and why?

Also, regardless of using a CBU, Kerdi etc, how much spacing is recommended between the tub and substrate? I've read quite a bit about how you don't want to lay it directly on top of the tub as water pooling can damage it over time. I'm assuming you want a health line of caulk to seal that gap.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I appreciate the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KG88Ss is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 26

As a first time DIY as well, I found doing as you originally planned as a straightforward and cost effective approach.
kc_fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,348

It's like the expression, "There is more then one way to skin a cat" Pick the way you like. All of the ways mentioned get you to the promised land.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-26-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

When you start, come with specific questions---

As to the spacing above the tub---the backer rests at the top of the tub flange--the gap is filled with thinset--

If you overlap the flange, you will bow the board ---
Advertisement